Printer not recognizing cartridge

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jnavarra, May 15, 2011.

1. jnavarra

jnavarra Private E-2

I have a Dell 3100 cn color laser printer. I have always used recycled ink cartridges and they have always worked right away. The last time, however, I tried to replace the old Magenta with a new one and it would not let me. Thinking it was a problem with the cartridge, I sent it back and got another. Same problem: the printer gives me an ID Error message. When I take it out and put the original back in, the printer works. Any ideas?
    Thanks

2. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

Did you change brands of cartridges?

3. jnavarra

jnavarra Private E-2

No, I have been buying the recycled type from Ink Technologies and never had any problem before. Someone at work mentioned if the encoded chip in the cartridge could be at fault? Could I switch chips between the one that works (the empty one) and the new one without causing damage?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds