Periodic Dial Up Connects

Discussion in 'Software' started by GrreatRon, Sep 18, 2004.

1. GrreatRon

GrreatRon Sergeant

At home I use dial up and after I disconnect and after a period of time (it varies) my computer is automatically dialed up to the internet. What is causing that and how do I correct it? I use MailWasher and have it set to check my email every ten minutes but I get connected even when that program is off. Also, whenever I start my computer I am automatically connected in just a minute or two. I don't believe in ghosts but I'm beginning to wonder now.

Thanks!

2. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

do you have a good antivirus installed? Have you tried using Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware to get rid of any spyware/adware on your system?

you could be describing a dialer program that the above programs will get rid of.

if you have an up to date antivirus and have run those two programs (available in the spyware section of the MajorGeeks downloads) then let us know so we can begin ruling things out.

3. evilevets

evilevets Sergeant Major

Probably spyware. Download and install Zone Alarm 5 to see exactly which program is forcing you onto the internet.

Download and run Spybot Search and Destroy and Adaware 6 to get rid of spyware.

Steve

4. Nirvana_CN

Nirvana_CN Private First Class

Also check what programs you ahve run on startup. Maybe you told your AV or Firewall it could dial up to check for updates on log on? Or maybe IE or Firefox or Opera is set to dial up on logon?

5. GrreatRon

GrreatRon Sergeant

I do have my AV (AVG) set to download updates at 2 AM, which it does faithfully, and my Firewall (ZoneAlarm Pro) to automatically update, but this still wouldn't explain why I get dial upped (good word, huh?) out of nowhere. I do not use Firefax or Opera and IE is not set up to dial up on logon.

I think this started the other day when I realized that my ISP was not set up as the default connection on IE. It is the only one I have but it has not been selected as default. When I selected it, these things began.

Any other ideas?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds