"intel rapid storage technology" do I need it

Discussion in 'Software' started by Marlene3369, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Marlene3369

Marlene3369 Private First Class

Hi,
    I have a new computer,HP with Windows 7 Home and it came with "intel rapid storage technology" installed on it. What is this and do I really need it,I have accessed it and it really does not do anything that I can see. It just tells me that my system is running good and that's about it. Should I uninstall this or do I need it.

Marlene,
    Hugssssssssssssss

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

That's for putting your HDD's into a RAID configuration which I very much doubt that you have or need, it's a geeky thing to make hard drives faster and/or safer. Here's a Wiki on it for that night that you can't fall asleep.;)

3. Marlene3369

Marlene3369 Private First Class

Hi Augie,
    I did not think I needed it,thank you for your help Augie,I think I'll just uninstall it but I wonder why it was installed on a new system in the first place. Maybe intel thinks you might need it in the future,or there just selling the product :-D

Marlene,
    Hugssssssssssssssss

4. Taz1956

Taz1956 Private E-2

Hi Marlene,
    Bob here
    I have an older but dynamite Lenovo t61 and I just installed Intel rapid storage tech. and I have tested and found I get about 15-20 minutes more battery time with this software running.

5. muymalestado

muymalestado Private First Class

Thanks, but is this the answer the OP (or Marlene) wanted? Does it do anything for standalone or simple Windows networked PC's / laptops?

I'll not be using RAID anytime soon and I see from ProcessExplorer (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653) that IRST uses about 23MB RAM and 0.01%CPU time which doesn't seem to change, so I suppose not much is happening.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds