OC'ing Gateway P series FX laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PghPittViper, Jul 23, 2008.

1. PghPittViper

PghPittViper Private E-2

I just got a Gateway P173FX laptop, 2.4Ghz, 4Mb ram, with the oc'ing settings locked in bios. I read the oc guide (over and over!), and see that you can oc with software utilities. I would like to get this system to at least 3.0Ghz, more if possible.

What utilities can I use? I just got to the point where I understand oc'ing via the bios, and find I can't use the knowledge. How do I find out what fsb and multiplier the system is currently using?

This is my first post on this subject. I am hoping for all the help I can get! Do the sw utilities really work to oc a system? Is what I am trying to do doable?

Tia,

Pittviper

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

If you're looking to do some gaming, keep in mind that gaming laptops generally cost over $1800. A friend of mine who owns a small PC shop recently custom built a gaming laptop; it sold for $3200. So, unless you spent a good deal on your current rig, chances are it's not designed to game. Besides, laptops do not overclock well. Even if you found a software utility that would allow for a decent overclock, you'd have a major heat issue to deal with. OCing a 2.4 to over 3.0 is good overclock on a tower where cooling options abound. Even a small OC on a laptop (if possible; that's why they lock laptop clocks in the BIOS) would generate more heat than you could probably adequately dissipate. You'd end up burning up the PC.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds