Tools to debug BSOD

Discussion in 'Software' started by matt72yard, Nov 3, 2014.

1. matt72yard

matt72yard Private E-2

I am running Win7 and getting the occasional BSOD, usually in the middle of the night, so I see my computer -- which is always on -- has rebooted in the morning. Happened last night, and 2-3 months before that, and on and off every couple months. Very intermittent.

How can I debug this issue?

I have done some googling and seen some software that will help me read the minidump files, including:

BlueScreenView 1.52
    and
    WhoCrashed?

but I am leery of intalling something that might have spyware, and can't get decent, trusted reviews of these two? And maybe there is something better?

Advice appreciated, as always!
    Thanks,
    Matt

2. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

you need to turn off auto-reboot and make a note of the bsod then we can help you further.

3. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

The official tool is Microsoft's WinDbg. I've got it installed myself and have analyzed several crash dumps posted on MG's forums.

This site gives you instructions on how to use it and links to download WinDbg and it's Symbols. I've used BlueScreenView but WinDbg gives much better information.

4. matt72yard

matt72yard Private E-2

Thanks for the replies. I was aware that there was an official Microsoft tool, but I was hoping there was something more user friendly? When I read about downloading symbol sets and whatnot, I thought there has to be a better way?

I don't need a ton of information, I just want to know the root of the problem, with as little pain as possible.

Thanks,
    Matt

5. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Then BlueScreenView may be your choice.

6. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

matt72yard...

I use this that found online:

http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=analyze

Just upload the minidump, and a full analysis is generated. You can copy/paste or just save the web page if you need the info for reference. Information seems to be complete, and the analysis seems very good.

Site is for driver developers. Saved me an installation of BSV anyway...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds