I need help with MS explorer.exe problems!

Discussion in 'Software' started by nykrumrie, Apr 17, 2012.

1. nykrumrie

nykrumrie Private E-2

I have a multitude of problems that might have to do with MS explorer.exe not working right.
    My Acer Aspire 5738Z Win7 64X -4G Ram plugged into a Samsung SyncMaster T220- has been experiencing odd problems for several month & I think it has to do with a bad windows explorer.exe problem. I’m not talking about Internet explorer but the explorer.exe in the OS of Win7. Here are a list of my issues & the error windows I’m seeing.

(1)Once booted up many times I'm missing a lot of my icon on the bottom right corner. Each time I reboot some would randomly appear & some would be missing.
    (2)If I right-clicked on any blank space on the desktop the Processing circle icon would appear & never stop. It would cause explorer.exe to crash. I would go into Task manager & re-launch it. But it would be flaky. The problem is sometimes after I do this I can double click a desktop Icon & it won’t launch. If I put the cursor over it the icon it gets highlighted but when I double click, nothing. The same is true if I try to select “computer” or “Control Panel” or anything else in the startup area.
    (3) I can’t close some of the programs running in the processes in Task manager. I’ll open task manager see a program I want to close. I hit End Process & nothing happens. I hit End Process tree & nothing happens. Sometimes like recently with explorer.exe two of the same programs are running & I try to close them & can’t. What would make it so you can’t kill a process in Task Manger?
    (4) -Screensaver is no longer coming on.
    (5)- Click on Personalize or Screen resolution & I get an explorer.exe error "No such interface supported".
    (6 )** Super annoying! -If I save a jpg or other file to my desktop & many times to a folder the file will not appear in the destination folder or desktop until I do a refresh of the desktop or I move out of then back to the folder & then the new saved files appear. I think that is an explorer.exe issue.
    (7)Windows Media Player ver.12.0.7 Crashes anytime I try to open a video. I get a “No such interface supported “ error window. I’ve tried opening, WMV-MPG-AVI etc.. all get the same error.
    (8) Here is something annoying but I think is important. When I try to shut down, the PC freezes either at the ‘Logging Off’ or “Shutting Down’ stage. If it gets to the Shutting Down stage you can see the processing light working hard. Then it stops but the screen never goes off. I’ve let it sit there in the shutting down stage for an hour with no luck. It definitely seems to maybe be an issue during the system startup that also causes problems during shut down.

I’m not sure what is causing these issues but here is what I’ve done to try & fix it
    ---
    -I ran a malwarebytes scan, a SuperAntiSpyware scan, & an Avast scan. I do not think malware or viruses are the issue.
    -I’ve Booted into Safe mode several times.
    -I’ve booted so only “system services” would startup. The PC booted up & shut down but once I choose important services & startup program then did the reboot I had the same trouble again.
    -My Brother did a CMD, command that was to scan the system files for errors & it found nothing.
    -I can not reboot to the last good restart point because this problem has been occurring for months. It’s just now gotten so annoying I need to do something about.
    -Uninstalled Avast!
    -From different forums I've tried running: MicrosoftFixit50267 & MicrosoftFixit.Performance.LB.1352576938831531.1.1.Run & vcredist_x64 & TFC.exe (temp file cleaner). These seemed to help with my sloe boot up times. I think my "SuperFetch" was turned off. I'm still not able to close cleanly & still have the above mentioned problems.
    -If you think there is a way to reinstall explorer.exe maybe the will help.

I’m looking for any help I can get! Thanks!
    ================================

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. nykrumrie

nykrumrie Private E-2

Yes I tried that before & I just ran it again as Admin & it didn't find anything wrong. Is there a way to re-install explorer.exe without re-installing the OS? Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks!

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

With such an array of problems, no malware, and SFC showing clean I'm wondering if you may have a memory problem. You could test this by typing 'memory' into the Start > Search box and starting the memory diagnostics tool. The Help and Support article on this is also worth a read first.

5. nykrumrie

nykrumrie Private E-2

I ran that diagnostic memory tool & it found no errors. Can you think of anything else I can try?

6. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

You do not say what type of disk you have but as you have run sfc successfully I guess it's a Windows installation disk rather than a manufacturer's recovery disk and if so then you could try a repair install. Although a repair install doesn't touch your personal files I would nevertheless advise backing up first.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds