New Virus?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wenchie, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

Do NOT explore the links, I'd like them to stay broken like this so if you see it on your AIM you know better.

My Friends AIM sent me a link:
    www. ebaumsworld .com / images / michaeljackson.jpg wow

That was actually:
    http: // enfex.net / michaeljackson.com

An excecutable file. I guess another friends AIM IM'ed it to him, and his in turned IM'ed everyone on his list...

So I sent him to MG and made him download AVG, and ad-aware, he's running it now. Anyone else seen this? Any ideas?

2. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

Edit: Actually, every 10 minutes t sends out another link - the second one was a google video link that redirected... I made him shut off his aim. But be careful out there.

3. jamesey

jamesey Private E-2

this one is so annoying. I had to turn block a few of my friends for a few days

4. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

I've briefly heard something in passing....there was also the bin laden one that was very similar sounding to what you just explained!!

Gotta pay attention to what you are doing...they are so many out there that still to this day do not understand, after I've spent alot of time explaining to them...then they get re-infected, and then they get mad because they think it is a conspiracy!!!! LOL

Sometimes I get so mad!!:rolleyes:

Disn't mean to get off on a lecture there, but unfortunately it is the gods honest truth, and I guess I just needed to get it off my chest!!

Roger

5. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Just take a stress-pill and a big mug of coffee and relax, Rog.

It happens, that's your average humanoid for ya. ;)

6. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

You gotta be real careful when accepting pictures or links - especially with the WMF exploit on the loose.

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

There are alot of sites attacking ebaumsworld, for a very stupid reason.

I won't go into it, since I've been going to the site for a number of years. The link that Wenchie posted, seems to be dead.

Then again, Ebaumsworld dot com is dead.

8. ANHEDONIC

ANHEDONIC Will Title For Food

Anyway to disable links being displayed in AIM? I have an old version of aim so likely not....

I almost fell for a virus... my friend sent me a link along the lines of "Do you mind if I add these pictures of us to my myspace profile?" and then it had a link to www. photobuck com.... (yes buck and not bucket)

I was about to click on it but checked the URL first and noticed it wasn't photobucket... so I didn't... later found out he had an AIM Virus....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds