ethernet port help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DSRaoof, Nov 8, 2006.

1. DSRaoof

DSRaoof Private E-2

hi, im having trouble getting my second ethernet port to work, someone told me i have to assign an ip to the port or something like that, and i have no clue how to do that, anyone know?

2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Not enough info!

Ethernet port on what?
    What are you trying to achieve?
    What does the rest of your network look like (breifly).

Thanks!

3. DSRaoof

DSRaoof Private E-2

ok, i want to use it so i can stream music/videos and the internet to my xbox 360 from my PC. if i want to do that, i have to switch the ethernet cords, so if i want to go online on my comp i have to put the cord running from the modem in, if i want to stream to my 360 i have to switch the cords, there is 2 ethernet ports on the back of my comp and i know its possiible to do this. i just want to eliminate having to switch the cords around everytime. sorry if this doesnt make complete sense as i woke up about 2 mins ago, thanks.

4. DSRaoof

DSRaoof Private E-2

anyone?

5. luma13

luma13 Private E-2

6. DSRaoof

DSRaoof Private E-2

yeah i read all that and everything, but thanks anyways. the problem is that i have 2 ports on the back of my comp yet only 1 works.. i was told i need 2 assign an IP address tp it, but i have no idea how or if that will even work

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds