XP will not switch users

Discussion in 'Software' started by Wiseloki, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Wiseloki

Wiseloki Private E-2

Hi,

Machine details:

Dell C840 laptop, 1.8 MHz, 1GB ram (recently upgraded from 512 MB) 40 GB HDD; laptop spends most of its time in a Dell C docking station, 8 port powered USB hub. XP Pro SP2 with latest updates, ZAP firewall, Norton 2004 antivirus, sync to iPAQ 1945 using ActiveSync 3.8. I run SpywareGuard, SpywareBlaster, SpyBot S&D and Ad-Aware SE - full scans for viruses and spyware weekly. I have used Wintasks and SpyBot utilities to selectively limit the startup list (maximise resources and minimise startup, which takes about 3 min). Broadband internet via BT and an Intel AnyPoint DSL modem. Lots of software loaded (MS Office, MS Project, Lotus SmartSuite, Paintshop Pro, Adobe Acrobat, etc, etc.). I use Firefox 1.5 rather than IE6, except when I have no choice.

I have run SpeedUpMyPC and Registry Mechanic to keep load times down and registry clean.

Problem seems to be twofold, which may or may not be linked. Machine is reliable as a single-user machine (occasional lock up during shutdown) but if I try to have more than one user logged on and switch, the machine locks and I have to force a shutdown via the power button. Also, Restore occasionally loses the ability to restore back - switching it off and on fixes this, but it seems to fail a few days/weeks later. Also. I get a completely black screen for 1-2 secs during boot up, just before the users logon screen appears.

It's as though XP has some damaged files. I haven't tried a repair from the disks that came with the Dell, as I have heard I can lose data/desktops/users.

Any advice as to how to fix?

2. Wiseloki

Wiseloki Private E-2

OK, so now I'm embarrassed. I have to admit that just I stopped SpeedUpMyPC from running at startup after a Norton update that required a reboot, and the PC switches users fine now. Oops!:rolleyes:

So that just leaves any ideas on the black screen at startup before the logons appear (is that normal?) plus Restore losing its marbles.

Any comments, guys? (on the PC, not my incompetence)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds