SystemCare won't open

Discussion in 'Software' started by mark59, Aug 10, 2011.

1. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

On my laptop (Acer Aspire 5920) running Windows Vista, sometimes Iobit Advanced SystemCare 4 just won't open. I click on it. The User Account Control opens and I click Continue but then absolutely nothing happens. I don't even get an error message.

2. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

• Is there a chance its process is already running in the background?
    • Is this the only application that won't open for you?
    • Is it possible you are infected with malware?
    • Will it always open from Safe Mode?
    • Are there Event Log errors related to this software?
    • Are you running multiple AVs?
    • Is there a chance that this software was installed incorrectly?
    • What happens if you uninstall it completely and then reinstall it?

3. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

• Is there a chance its process is already running in the background? No, it is not.
    • Is this the only application that won't open for you? Yes, it is.
    • Is it possible you are infected with malware? I haven't checked but I do (a) surf safely, (b) check regularly, and (c) keep everything up-to-date: so I would say the risk is low.
    • Will it always open from Safe Mode? I haven't checked but it will sometimes open in normal mode so if it opened in safe mode I wouldn't know if it always opened in safe mode or if it was one of those occasions when it will open.
    • Are there Event Log errors related to this software? Where do I check for these?
    • Are you running multiple AVs? By AV do you mean "anti-virus". This is not an anti-virus programme. It's a system clean-up and optimisation programme.
    • Is there a chance that this software was installed incorrectly? No, it was installed correctly.
    • What happens if you uninstall it completely and then reinstall it? The problem remains. I had already attempted that solution.

4. thisisu

Right click on My Computer > Manage > Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Application > Look for Errors in here and then provide details.
    For troubleshooting purposes, can you go into Safe Mode and repeatedly open and close this program 10 times and let me know it it opened every single time without failure.
    Yes but, what current Anti-Virus programs are you using?
    To be sure, you may want to work through this: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407
    Did you also clean the registry from any leftovers of this program by using CCleaner? and then reinstall it once no more registry problems appear.

5. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

I have had a look at Events Log and I could not find error messages associated with this application. This may help you with the diagnosis (even though it is meaningless to me) but this event was logged at a time when I was doing this. Log Name: Application; Source: WMI; Event ID: 10; User: N/A; OpCode: Info; Logged: 11/08/2011 22:37:51; Task Category: None; Keywords: Classic.

I did as requested and it opened on the first four attempts but then wouldn’t open again.

I am only running one AV programme: Avast.

Thank you I am aware of that thread. I have used it more than once and I follow its advice to stay safe. Right now, I simply don’t have the time to go through all those procedures – I am sure you are aware it is time consuming.

When I removed the programme I used Revo Uninstaller which I find very good. I also cleaned my machine with CCleaner after the uninstall.

6. thisisu

At this point, I would say it's conflicting with other software currently installed, or with remnants of it being installed including services and registry keys. Without knowing what's running in the background of your PC it's hard to say which one could be the culprit.

If you would like, read this and attach the MGlogs.zip when finished and I will analyze the logs for you

Using MGtools

7. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

Thank you.

The log is attached.

Attached Files:

8. thisisu

No problem, here is what I have gathered:

AVG 2011 <-- looks like most of this is already gone (but it's still in add/remove)
    SpywareGuard <-- looks Inactive for the most part, but still remnants of its presence on the PC
    avast! Free Antivirus <-- installed and active
    Outpost Security Suite 7.1.1 <-- installed and active
    Windows Defender *enabled* (Updated) <-- Active

Here is a quote from chaslang, I would try the below and see if your problems with SystemCare are resolved.

9. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

How will I get rid of what’s left of AVG and SpywareGuard? Neither of them are listed in: Control Panel>Programs and Features; CCleaner>Tools>Uninstall; RevoUninstaller.

I cannot find any associated folders in either C:\Program Files or C:\ProgramData (C is my hard drive).

10. thisisu

I think your main issue is:

I would recommend removing one of them.

You can try the below if you'd like to remove the traces I found in your logs.

Please download The Avenger by Swandog46 to your desktop.
    See the download links under this icon: [​IMG]

• Open avenger.zip and extract avenger.exe to your desktop
    • Run avenger.exe by double-clicking on it.
    • Click OK at the warning to continue to use The Avenger.
      Note: Do not change any of the check box options!
    • Shut down your protection software now to avoid possible conflicts.
    • Copy everything in the Quote box below, and paste it into the Input script here: part of The Avenger.
    • Now click the [​IMG] button.
    • Click Yes to the prompt to confirm you want to execute.
    • Click Yes to the Reboot now? question that will appear when The Avenger finishes running.
    • Your PC should reboot, if not, reboot it yourself.
    • A log file from The Avenger will be produced at C:\avenger.txt and it will pop-up for you to view when you login after reboot.
    • Attach this log to your next message. (How to attach items to your post)

11. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

I do not understand why I should remove one of these applications. Avast is my anti-virus software and Outpost my firewall.

12. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Outpost Security Suite is a firewall and antivirus. Problems happen when you run two antivirus programs so if you use Outpost's Security Suite, you need to go over everything to be sure you have the antivirus part of the program disabled.
    Go here http://free.agnitum.com/ scroll down and click on the screenshot.
    I assume because it is free, you will not get much in the way of support.

13. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

I have the anti-virus features of Agnitum turned off ever since installation. I know that problems might occur when two or more of the same types of application are installed.

I have one anti-virus programme (avast!) and one firewall (Agnitum Outpost Security Suite). Windows Firewall is turned off on my machine. The anti-virus functions are turned of on Agnitum Outpost Security Suite.

14. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

I'm stuck in limbo. I only have a single anti-virus programme running. I've searched for anything to do with AVG and manually removed it. I searched again and found nothing, as far as I can tell. I've checked Agnitum Outpost: I've double checked and I can't turn off it's anti-virus features - they're already turned off.

Only one firewall is installed on my machine. It's Agnitum Outpost. Windows Firewall is also turned off.

Advanced SystemCare is still refusing to open.

The problem persists and I don't know what to do.

15. MadMal

MadMal Corporal

At the IObit forum they recommend using BitRemover from the authors of JavaRA to get rid of any IObit leftovers.
    http://www.t-tools.nl/bitremoveren.php

The clean uninstall and install procedure is in these posts.
    http://forums.iobit.com/showpost.php?p=42228&postcount=10
    http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?p=39220#post39220

16. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

17. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

The problem seems to be solved. Yesterday, after I ran the solution I was able to open and close Advanced SystemCare ten times, which I could not have done before. Today, it opened ten times on the row so I would say that it's now OK.

To fix it I did the following: 1) turned off my screensaver; 2) turned off both my anti-virus and firewall software; 3) disconnected from the Internet. I then uninstalled Advanced SystemCare using Revo Uninstaller. After this I restarted my machine. Next I ran CCleaner. Then I ran BitRemover. After running BitRemover I ran an advanced search looking for anything called Iobit and then Advanced SystemCare. Despite BitRemover claiming it removes anything lefy over after an until of Iobit software the search still found four Iobit folders. I deleted them.

I then downloaded Advanced SystemCare from Iobit's website. With the same preparations as I used for the uninstall (see 1,2 and 3 above) I installed it anew.

As I said at the start of this post it now appears to be working ok.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds