The Script for a Message Board?

Discussion in 'Software' started by MikeeB, Mar 1, 2004.

1. MikeeB

MikeeB Private E-2

Does anybody know how to write the program for a message board?

Ideally I would like to have a message board like this one, but even the simplest script would be great!

I would like to create an interoffice message board for my law firm but am not clear of how to make it.

If anyone could help me, please email me at MichaelatUNM@aol.com.

Also if there is any literature on the subject, that would be great!

Thank you for everything!

2. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

3. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

If you can't find what you're looking for, contact me
    jlosi@acrodata.com

I may have something you could use for a fee of course. I have a demo of the application I can show you.

Or I can custom build you something.
    Please visit www.acrodata.com for my companies information

4. MikeeB

MikeeB Private E-2

Thank you very much

5. MikeeB

MikeeB Private E-2

But...??

Thank you both for your help. The web page is a big help and Kodo you are great for offering your services. I will definately take advantage of both.

But do you guys or anybody know of a place where I can go to find the code to write my own message board? Or is the only place I can even have a message board from a hosted webpage or something like that?

I would really like to manage and be able to have entire control of the message board I am going to use in my company?

Maybe I am missing the point here, I really dont know what I am doing. But, again, any help would be awesome.

Thank you all again! And for being patient with me.

6. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

There are many different languages you can use to write your own board.
    There's ASP.NET,ASP, PHP,CGI,Cold-Fusion and perhaps a some others I might have left out by mistake. The drawback is you will have to take the time to learn one of them and it's not a fast process by any means if you've never written a web application before.

where you would like to go from this point?

7. MikeeB

MikeeB Private E-2

Hm?

What I do know how to write is HTML, Java and a little C++. That is about as far as my programming language goes. I am eager to read and learn more though.

8. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

HTML will help you with formatting, but I would suggest learning CSS as well for better formatting control. Javascript will help with functionality of the board. JSP ( Java server pages) could be another possibility for building a board. C++ will not do you much good and it would be over kill.

What platforms would you run the board on .. i.e. Operating systems, database servers etc?

9. Genius Boy

Genius Boy The Examinator

I'm a fan of phpBB

It's all written in php and is open source. This means that most people who have a little bit of programming and HTML experience can hack around and change things to the way that they want them to be.

This software is meant to run a public message board like this one, not to run a private inter-office communications forum. It is, however, to set it up in such a way that only people who have been given access are able to read the things that are posted on it.

10. MikeeB

MikeeB Private E-2

So?

So CSS and Java are my best choices for getting this message board completed? I actually don't even know what CSS is. Where can I learn more about it?

11. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

javascript will "help".. not complete. CSS is cascading style sheets.. it's for formatting content.

www.w3schools.com is a great place to start to learn :)

but PHP, ASP, .NET are probably my languages of choice to use to build the dynamically driven code.

12. MikeeB

MikeeB Private E-2

Thanks

Thanks for all your help Kodo. Looks like I have a lot of reading ahead of me. Take it easy man.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds