Mouse for laptops? or doesn't move?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by watchntv, Apr 12, 2009.

1. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

This is a two-fold issue.
    I have a small optical mouse for my laptop, but the problem is on most surfaces, it won't work?
    targus optical mouse
    [​IMG]

so is it the mouse, or what exactly? I am using it with a MS XP, with SP3, Intel 4 CPU, 2.4Hz, 447mb RAM, RADEON IGP 345M computer

next topic,
    for both my lap top and my desktop, do I need a mouse that moves around? I thought they there were mouse's(mice?) that were something like Balls in a box, that I could push up to the left and the cursor would respond by moving that way, so I wouldn't need a surface? Let me further extrapolate I use a Kensington Optical mouse for my desktop, (XP sp3, intel pentium 4CPU, 3.2 GHz, 1.0GB RAM, NVIDA GeForce, FX 5500) and it works great no issues at all, but the mouse rests on my desk, not a mouse pad and is easy to use and always responds.

I give the stats for my computers as I don't know if that info is important or not, so I never found a situation where too much information was problematic. I like thin crust, with extra sauce, light cheese, pepperoni and lots of pineapple.

I am not talking about the Logitech MX Air Mouse, which is akin to a Wii controlloer, I want something I can easily use. I have a hard time with the laptop's finger pad, as I wasn't a kid when it came out and my neural pathways are set to use a mouse, but I just want something that isn't hard to use and responds easily to where I move it, and the Wii controllers are hard to use, I simply dont want to put in the time to get used to them.
    I'd appreciate some help to find a better mouse for my laptop, thanks everyone.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

as for your problem, i've always found that a mouse pad works best even if an optical doesnt' really need it. and yes, you can get one called a trackball, it's stationary, and you just use your thumb to move the ball.

3. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

If it works on some but not others, then the mouse is probably not the problem, but rather the surface.

While I agree a mouse pad designed for optical mouses (mice are rodents) tend to work great, part of the beauty of opticals is you don't have to worry about pads. So you need to experiment with different surfaces.

And yes, a trackball might be your best bet. Some are very big, with the ball the size of a cue ball - some are small. Go to an electronics store and find one that "feels" right to you.

4. randommayham

randommayham Private E-2

I love my Logitech trackball mouse - it's the best!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds