inspiron 1100 won't POST

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 48lowes, Jan 3, 2009.

1. 48lowes

48lowes Private E-2

Inspiron 1100 (service tagF39XP21) was overheating so I opened up machine according to Dell Support
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins5100/en/i1100-om.pdf
    Previously I had dropped my machine, about two feet onto carpet. It landed right on the radio card and bent the card, and hadn’t worked since (the radio card). So while I was dismantling my laptop I figured to check connections on the motherboard as per another chat board. Nothing seemed to be bent or broken on the PCMCIA connection for the radio card. I didn’t have another laptop to check my radio card. Also the eject button wasn’t working, so I thought, turns out it was.
    These are the reasons I dismantled my laptop down to the motherboard.
    After putting it back together it won’t boot. The screen is black, not even a flicker. It won’t even go through POST. I first tried the Ram memory. I swapped both chips in and out of both slots. I have factory installed two 512 chips. I even tried it without any Ram at all.
    Tried it
    with & w/o the HD which has the radio card slot in the plastic trim
    with & w/o the modem
    with & w/o the keyboard
    with & w/o battery
    with & w/o 110v ac adaptor
    with & w/o cd rom drive

All is does is turn on the(Scroll lock is enabled) light on the keyboard status lights. Also The device status light is lit that tells you the computer is turned on. If I install the battery I also get the status light indicating battery is charging. Never do I get the activity/HD light. The fan comes on and that’s about it. So from having a workable laptop that was overheating I’ve now got junk... I did go back in the machine and recheck all connections.

Processor - Intel Celeron 2.0 GHz Chipset type Intel 845GL
    Cache Memory- Type L2 cache Cache size 128.0 KB
    RAM Installed Size- 128.0 MB / 512.0 MB (max) Technology DDR SDRAM
    Storage Controller- Storage controller type Ultra ATA/100
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Motherboard 05W610/5W610 9743
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220334873063

2. »S3000NX«

»S3000NX« Private E-2

kinda feel dumb askin, but what does it mean to 'post'?

3. 48lowes

48lowes Private E-2

4. »S3000NX«

»S3000NX« Private E-2

5. JaysPc

JaysPc Private E-2

Have you fixed this problem, yet?. If not, I read some where, that you are to pull the power cord, remove battery and ram then plug power back on, press power button. The Num lock and cap lock led should light and stay lit. Then in a short while the laptop will power down. Re install mem, bat, & power and power her up. She should power back up. Try to stick to the order given. Hope this helps.

6. 48lowes

48lowes Private E-2

Jayspc
    Thanks much for your reply. I managed through the problem. It turns out that while reinstalling the processor chip I bent a pin. It's lucky I didn't fry everything. I got a recovery disk from Dell with some step by step instructions. Everything went well. I didn't even have to reinstall my programs! Again I thanks you for your time and response.

7. JaysPc

JaysPc Private E-2

Great, that is awsome, I just hate to see people sufering with their computer problems. How you managed to slide the processor in with one pin bent?. Don't forget, all parts must fit, easy. No force mounting,. ;) Have a great day!

8. 48lowes

48lowes Private E-2

I'll plead ignorance on the bent pin.:-o
    thanks again

9. JaysPc

JaysPc Private E-2

Please forgive me if I made you feel bad, I had no intention of such. We all make mistakes, I do all of the time. I just expressed because I have dropped them and after examination and some straightening, the still feel a bit hasty, to seat in. Again, please forgive me. I apologize. Sincerily :).rolleyes

10. 48lowes

48lowes Private E-2

You are most kind indeed. I wasn't offended at all. Some times we all pull a bonehead move like this. I'm able to fully disassemble the laptop but not patient enough to properly reinstall the processor. Go figure.:-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds