32bit to 64bit

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BILLMCC66, Feb 24, 2009.

1. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

This may seem a silly Q to many and i have searched the web for answers but all i find is mostly how to upgrade the OS

What controls a PCs ability to run in 32bit or 64bit is it the mobo or CPU or others.

I have an HP system running 32bit but if i try to run a 64bit OS it won't let me.
    My CPU is Intel Q6600 and the mobo is an OEM from Asus.
    Any info gratefully recieved.

Attached Files:

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Quote from Intel -
    IntelĀ® EM64T requires a computer system with a processor, chipset, BIOS, operating system, device drivers and applications enabled for Intel EM64T. Processor will not operate (including 32-bit operation) without an Intel EM64T-enabled BIOS. Performance will vary depending on your hardware and software configurations. See http://www.intel.com/info/em64t for more information including details on which processors support IntelĀ® EM64T or consult with your system vendor for more information.

3. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Thanks Ibmest
    I am not sure i fully understand it but if i am correct it is the Bios/chipset in the mobo that is stopping me running Ubuntu 64bit?

4. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

with that being a newer system you would think it was 64 bit compatible

5. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I have had no end of problems trying to get into the Bios and can only assume it is the Mobo.
    I have replaced the original graphics board and increased the ram but i think i will need a new mobo as from all the things i have read say that HP restrict access to the bios to stop overclocking?

6. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Can you at least change the date and time? That really sucks if HP is denying access. :mad Maybe this is why you can't OC your 260-216 vid card either, I dunno. :confused

I do know that your Q6600 supports 64 bit as I just installed Vista X64 and Ubuntu 8.10 X64 just now to test things out before I get my extra RAM and get my AMD X2 rig going solely on Ubuntu.

7. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

What?? really?? what the hell right does HP have stopping you from doing what you want with your own pc?

What HP machine do you have? If it's an Asus board I'm pretty sure Del. takes you to bios.

Although if you have a Q6600 then I don't see why you couldn't run X64.

8. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Apart from date and time as Augie said i can not change any thing in Bios.
    I am not sure if it is only on Belgian spec but a number of thing are not standard (keyboard, mouse and a few others)
    After the model number you will see "be"that denotes Belgian spec.
    If i look on the internet for my Mobo it is not listed.

Attached Files:

9. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Ok, what model of HP Pavilion is it?

See if we can find the mobo from there. Damn HP, never did like them, big brother company :mad

10. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

the model is a6340.be

I have also tried with Riva tuner and EVGA but am not able to change any thing.

11. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

12. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Thanks for the effort you put in.
    The first site is completely useless, sorry to put it so bluntly but i have spent hours on there (you can't even download a manual) HP are a pain in the A+++ they just dont give out info.

Your second sit is about dual booting and i can do that, my problem is getting into the bios.
    Again thanks for the try.
    Bill

13. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Ok the first link I found a manual...........a setup poster lol

The second link is the wrong one, I must have copied the wrong link, unfortunately I formatted this PC last night and can't find the one I meant to post :( Sorry man.

There must be a way around it, If I could look at an HP I bet I could find it but there's sod all on google and guessing isn't helping.

14. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Yep you are right there is a manual and set up poster but when you go for the manual it is not there the only thing you can download is the set up poster, i have tried many times.
    As for google i have spent hours looking but HP don't give any info for some reason.

15. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

I know, I spent a while looking myself, I'm sorry man I'm out of ideas. :(

The only thing I can suggest is to find someone who has an HP machine that knows how to get round it, but I guess thats why you're here.

Maybe worth buying a new mobo off ebay or something that doesn't have the protection crap on it. You could probably find one pretty cheap.

Sorry bud, I tried.

16. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

F10 will get you in bios if not password protected, cpu is the limiting factor in running 64 bit os. ed

17. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

@ Nedlamer
    Thanks for the time and effort.
    Really frustrating isn't it, as for the Mobo i went to my local PC shop yesterday to get a new one but he is closed until next week for crocus vacation (that's a ski vacation period we have every year) so i will go again Monday or Tuesday.

@ Tunered
    I have an Intel Q6600 and it will run 64bit so it has got to be the mobo.

Thanks to all who tried.[​IMG]

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds