Internet Slow on Computer (Wired Connection)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AC Only, May 24, 2013.

1. AC Only

AC Only Private E-2

I have slow/no internet and it seems to be only an issue for my main computer, as the several wireless/wired devices I have have no problem streaming/connecting to the internet.

I have done several scans using SuperAntiSpyware, Spybot, Malaware Bytes, and even the Microsoft scanner. I did this both on Normal and Safe Mode.

When I hard wire my computer directly to the modem, I don't seem to have an issue. When I watch videos/stream from a laptop or an iPad, I also don't have an issue.

I have Windows 7 64-bit computer with an ASUS RT-AC66U router and a cable modem. I've tried switching the physical ports on my router, but that doesn't seem to fix the problem.

I've tried ipconfig /release and /renew, and that doesn't seem to work either. Sometimes if I reset my computer, the issue seems to get fixed, but will eventually will be super slow again.

Any ideas on what to do?

2. AC Only

AC Only Private E-2

It seems to happen when another computer or laptop is streaming/playing a game.

3. computermdsc

computermdsc Private E-2

So, your computer runs fine when nothing else is using the internet?
    How good is your cable service? Go to http://www.speedtest.net
    What kind of wireless router do you have?

Generally speaking if your other computer is streaming and gaming fine it is hogging all the bandwidth causing your connection to be slow. If you computer is working fine with no other devices then I would start but implementing so type of QoS (Quality of Service) on your wireless router.

4. AC Only

AC Only Private E-2

So, your computer runs fine when nothing else is using the internet?
    A: Yes, it doesn't appear that it has any problems when I am directly connected to the modem. On several occasions when I am on my router, my internet on my computer will stop working, but other devices hooked up to the router (wired and wireless) have no issues.

How good is your cable service? Go to http://www.speedtest.net
    A: Ping - 22 ms; DL - 27.59 Mbps; UL - 0.94 Mbps. I have the 15 Mbps package and it is okay. I've called my cable company tech support and the modem seems to be okay on their end.

What kind of wireless router do you have?
    A: I just bought an ASUS RT-AC66U, since my older Linksys router had the same issue. Apparently it wasn't the router hardware, but maybe the software? The ASUS router software is up to date

Generally speaking if your other computer is streaming and gaming fine it is hogging all the bandwidth causing your connection to be slow. If you computer is working fine with no other devices then I would start but implementing so type of QoS (Quality of Service) on your wireless router.
    A: How do I preform a QoS on my wireless router?

Thanks for the response!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds