How can i connect my usb wifi dongle to my router?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chicken choker, Apr 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chicken choker

chicken choker Private E-2

I live outside a small village in Cyprus where we have no phone lines. There is a free village wifi internet available to all residents, this is about 1Km across the valley.

OK, i have a 2000Ma wifi dongle with a usb connection plugged into my tower pc running WinXP, i have an external yagi antenna on my roof, all this works perfectly fine.

Using this dongle and antenna, Is there a way to feed this wifi signal i recieve into my Linksys WRT54G wifi router? Thus making it possible to run say another computer via ethernet, or wifi.
    Is it some sort of POE injector i need to give 5v to the dongle?

I hope this clear as to what i want to acheive.

Many thanks.

2. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

It does make sense but the dongle is not the answer.

You can set your router up as an access point (it might be called repeater for that router but I'm pretty sure not) and share to the whole house that way. The dongle would be just for the connection from the router to your computer.

I think i have one of those routers here, I can double check the whole config tomorrow if you get stuck. I have gotten stuck with it before, I messed up the IP range for my LAN side.

3. chicken choker

The router as an access point will not pick up the signal from that distance, if i change the connector on my cable and use my outside antenna, i still doubt wether it will pick it up, even if it did, i would only be able to use ethernet cables to connect my pcs, not the wifi, unless of course i plugged in a second wifi router, and used those ethernet sockets and wifi. Does that seem workable? That is assuming the linksys will pick up the signal.

4. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

Ah yes, sorry. I did read that it's a 2000Ma (mW?) dongle.
    You could feed it back by bridging the connection through the XP system but it's not a good at all.

This approach seems overly complicated. Can you explain how your setup is working now exactly?

Ex:
    - External Yagi Antenna on the roof wired via coaxial cable to a Ruckus Wireless MetroFlex WiFi Booster. Metroflex is wireless but is at the far end of the house to pick up the village signal.
    - Metroflex signal to the XP computer is via Alfa AWUSO36NH High Gain USB Wireless G / N Long-Rang WiFi Network Adapter. This works fine.

Any extra equipment that you already have that might help would also be useful. Usually this is pretty simple but you have a less common setup and I need to be walked through what you have currently.

5. chicken choker

Thanks handygal,
    Yes, my mistake, it is a 2000mw dongle.

I work from home, and have an outside annexe/office in which is:
    an external yagi antenna mounted on the roof, from that is an RP-SMA ended coax to the WiFiSky 2000mw dongle, from this is a usb cable into my office desktop pc.

I also have this exact same setup in the same office for when a friend comes here to plug his laptop into game together.
    ------------------

I also have this exact same setup 30 meters away in my house with the yagi mounted on it's roof. This is so i can use my laptop in the house.

This means i have a total of three yagi antennas, three dongles, three coax cables each picking up the free village internet from across the valley.

You can see why i need to get an office signal into my Linksys wifi router!!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  6. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

I must honestly say, to do this you should look into replacing the second WiFiSky adapter with a wireless router designed to be attached to the external yagi. I know they exist, is that an option for you?

The only other thing that comes to mind is trying to bridge the incoming usb signal with the ethernet adapter on your XP computer and sending that via ethernet cable to the internet port on the router. I don't recommend it, I don't know if it will work in reality, but in theory I can see that maybe having a chance.

Maybe someone who has done more bridging can give some input as to whether this could work if you want to try it.

7. chicken choker

8. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

does your PC have an ethernet port? You would connect the dongle to the computer and the ethernet port to router. I'm still only working on theory that it would work.

Maybe a new thread -- Can I bridge my connection to a wireless router? I think someone has asked if they can bridge their iphone tethered to their laptop with a router. It's the same concept. I don't recall the answer but it was probably about a year ago, close to easter.

9. chicken choker

Hi handygal,
    I do understand what you are suggesting, yes i do have an ethernet port on my tower pc. So the theory is to have the dongle input the connection via usb, then get the XP pro tower to bridge the connection to the ethernet socket, then cat5 cable from that socket to the input socket on my wifi router, for all to share.
    Sounds good, so how do i do it...anybody?....anybody?...

10. Lake Nokomis

Lake Nokomis Private E-2

I live in St. Paul, MN. I get my internet free via a c.crane internet 3 antenna that plugs into the laptop of my computer. I set up sharing (Vista ICS) between this signal and the ethernet adapter built into my laptop computer.

Then I took my ethernet output from the computer and plugged it into the internet port of a linksys wrt54g with no special settings. Lo and behold, I had wireless internet throughout my house. This worked for about a month when something changed to upset the scheme. Then I started trying to figure out what went wrong, and it was like a centipede trying to analyze its walking.

In the mean time, I plugged my ethernet cable directly into my smart tv (my motivation in the first place), and I set up an ad hoc connection from the built in wifi on my laptop computer. I used connectify software. This is what I'm doing now. To get wifi to my iPhone. If I want to spend the time, I will try to achieve my original setup.

I know this is achievable. I have done it with two linksys routers - the wrt54g and a wrt400n right out of the box. I believe I can do it again, but somewhere along the way I got tangled up with ip addresses and all the other minutia of connectivity.

11. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hi and welcome to Major Geeks.

I would suggest you start a new thread for your question. You will get more views that way rather than tacking this on to someone else's old thread.

You can go ahead and copy and paste this post when you do so and put a descriptive title on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds