MSI GT783R laptop shuts down when playing games

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nexaddo, May 8, 2013.

1. Nexaddo

Nexaddo Private E-2

hi everone.

for the past week my MSI GT783R gaming laptop have been shutting down when playing games.
    after starting a game within a minute or 2, the laptop will shut itself off without warning, then start-up again.
    after that it usually shuts off again mid-boot or just after it loaded windows.

a few things i have noticed and tried:
    1) it only happens when the AC charger is plugged in, both when battery is hooked to the laptop or not.
    2) GPU and CPU temps are below 80c when the shut down happens
    3) i already suspected an overheating issue, opened up the laptop, cleaned both CPU and GPU and their heatsinks + fan and applied new thermal paste (Arctic MX-4).
    4) tried using a different AC charger, from my brothers GT780DXR laptop.
    5) i formatted my pc and did a clean windows 7 64-bit install.

despite all of the steps above the issue yet remains.
    i scoured google for the past week with no luck.

please help me! :cry

thanks in advance :)

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Do you know the wattage of your brothers AC adaptor? Have you felt the side of your ac adaptor as it's running, does it feel very hot to the touch?

When you run on battery your laptop will automatically lower power consumption and performance so to rule out a power problem I would recommend you disable all of these features, some will be in control panel, power, select maximum performance or select advanced settings and disable each one, there may be others also that MSI have installed that you will also have to disable.

To test stop using games and download a benchmark such as 3dmark, heaven benchhmark ect. you need something that will give you a performance score at the end of the test for comparison to be sure the laptop is working at maximum performance while only on battery, then google for scores similar to your cpu and vid card, alternatively if you see a review that benchmarks your laptop see what test they use and run that instead to compare the scores. I use speedfan and msi afterburner to monitor cpu and vid card temps in graph form. Now run your laptop only on battery to try and get it to shutdown.

Run a seperate cpu test to try and isolate the problem such as intel burn test,this will run your cpu at it's hottest temp and give you a Gflop score at the end, google your cpu and compare with other gflop scores to be sure you cpu is running at maximum performance while monitoring temperatures, listen for you cpu fan speeding up it should sound like a hairdryer after only a few minutes running the test, just because it's not over heating doesn't mean it isn't overheating as the cpu will throttle back to protect itself, a low gflop score will be a clue that this has happened.

All the programs mentioned are available at Major geeks. Welcome and good luck:)

3. Nexaddo

Nexaddo Private E-2

when on battery power GPU clocks are lowered down, even when on max performance.
    is there any way i can make them go to the max without the AC?

both mine and my brothers AC adapter is 180W. both run a bit hot, yet his laptop doesnt show any problems.

i used furmark and prime95 to run tests
    prime95 works well both on battery power and on AC
    furmark ends in a crash before the test is over when running on AC, on battery power with clocks scaled down it ends fine.

ill run the gflop tests when i get back home from work.

ty

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

http://www.msi.com/product/nb/GT783-GT783R-.html

Your laptop has an Nvidia card by the spec sheet so go into nvidia control panel and select maximum performance,save and exit.

There may be other msi or bios features that throttle the card and even some that cannot be changed as the battery may not be able to power the card alone but be sure to check bios also and set any power saving features to max performance, unfortunately without the laptop in front of me I can't look for them, if after checking all the usual suspects there is no option then it's a design feature to protect the battery and SHOULDN'T be changed.

From what you have told me so far, passing the Prime test, you've tried a different power supply and you don't experience a crash when the clocks throttle it definitely sounds like a video card overheat or failure problem, be sure to check you fan is spinning up you can also set your gpu fan to 100% in msi after burner to audibly compare.

Forcing air through the video card using an external fan is also an option, you must monitor gpu temps to make sure the air you providing is helping while running a benchmark.

5. Nexaddo

Nexaddo Private E-2

gflops score 43-47 with battery power.

i did as you said and set the GPU to work on max performance through the nvidia control panel.

6. Nexaddo

Nexaddo Private E-2

AC power gflops 48-51

CPU didnt get hotter than 80 degrees.

7. Nexaddo

Nexaddo Private E-2

AC power gflops 48-51

CPU didnt get hotter than 80 degrees.

on another note: tried running FurMark benchmark for 2 times. both of these times i had to stop the test before it was completed in order to prevent overheating, after 2 mins of running furmark and GPU reached 91 degrees before i stopped it.
    after he 2nd run, i started Intel Burn Test, it ran for 2 seconds before the PC shutdown.

when the PC booted up again, i ran Intel Burn Test in several configurations with no shutdowns.
    but when i tried running furMark again, the PC shuts down about 10-30 seconds in, even in low temps.

**sorry for several replies, couldnt edit my previous ones.

edit: my laptop have SSD drive with windows installed on it and a regular HDD for extra space and installing games. could this be a clue to the problem?

8. Nexaddo

Nexaddo Private E-2

Update:

took my brother's advice saying it might be an SSD issue.

i updated my SSD Firmware (Patriot Pyro SE 120GB)

i tried to run Planetside 2, when before my laptop would shutdown between 1-8 minutes, now i was able to play for a whole 75 minutes with no crash, afterwards i just quit the game regularly.

note that throughout the entire game, GPU temps didnt rise above 86 degrees.
    CPU temps didnt rise above 80 degrees. and thats playing with the laptop ontop of my wooden table instead of my cooling pad.

will try more tests and run more games and will update this thread.

9. amidsal

amidsal Private E-2

Hi,

Seems like you are not the first one with this problem. I am currently having this problem with my GT783R and looking for an answer for more the months now.
    Most of the things I did were the same as you did previously did. Now, to be honest, I don't think the problem is with your SSD as I don't have one and it still reboots.
    I reinstalled the computer, purchased another AC Adapter, installed drivers from many versions from NVIDIA, tried Windows 8 and everything else you mentioned. I also believed that the problem was with the temperature but it's not. Sometimes it reboot when 70C, other times when 85C.
    Currently, I am going to do a BGA soldering on my nvidia processor as I couldn't find any other answers for it. Another thing that misinformed people ae telling you is to try to play without the battery. For our computer, it is impossible as our videocard don't work when not plugged in, no matter what you do.
    So, if you find something about it, please share with me here and I will do the same.

Thank you and best regards,
    Amid

10. Nexaddo

Nexaddo Private E-2

Hey Amid,

I guess the problem isnt my SSD, like you said, as the problem persists.
    im gonna look into it further after work.

if you find a solution let me know and ill do the same.

Good Luck :)

11. MarkosDarkin

MarkosDarkin Private E-2

Hello everyone.
    Im the brother.
    im just guessing here:
    1) What body of the laptop is faulty? i mean, the laptop is made mostly out of metal and not plastic... maybe its connected to the shorting issues.
    2) maybe its an issue with the laptop's sound system? the MSI GT780dxr has a massive sound system with high volume and bass... maybe when you get to a point with a lot of sounds and bass - the laptops shakes enough to move something...
    3) Even if you check the inside of the laptop, why not check the wiring to the screen itself? when i first bought my own (same MSI Model) i noticed some loose wiring going up to the screen between the bottom of the laptop to the screen... could be that some wire bent and is almost torn completely but still gets a connection at a certain angle (that moves and lose connection for a milisecond because of the bass or other movement).

tell me what you think...

12. Nexaddo

Nexaddo Private E-2

I don't think it's the screen as it only happens when playing games.
    I dont think its the sound system either as it also happens when I hook the laptop to my surround system.

I'll try doing a memtest when I get home and make sure there are no loose parts

13. Nexaddo

Nexaddo Private E-2

did a memtest overnight, 7 passes, no errors.

14. Nexaddo

Nexaddo Private E-2

hey, how you doing?
    any new findings on your end?

15. grrkat

grrkat Private E-2

I'm having a very similar issue with my MSI GT780DXR. Since I purchased this laptop a couple of years ago I've had to send it in twice for repairs. The first time I had lot of BSOD and my laptop completely failed memtest so they swapped out the RAM. The laptop worked for about a year until I started having random shut downs like yours. Sometimes I'd be gaming and sometimes I'd be just surfing the internet. Oftentimes the laptop would really struggle to turn back on, sometimes attempting to half a dozen or a dozen times before it came back. It does not seem to be a heating issue. I never use the laptop unplugged from the AC adapter and despite having a laptop that should be able to play all games on ultra settings, I have to reduce my settings to low or medium for everything I play. The last time I sent it in about a month ago they swapped the RAM sticks again. I haven't been using the laptop much and today I had the same problem occur so I'm assuming the underlying issue does not lie entirely with the RAM.

I regret buying this laptop at this point. I trusted MSI to produce quality products and I really did not expect to have this many problems so soon with the laptop. At this point I'm probably going to have to ship it back for repairs before the warranty expires. :(

Is it possible there is some defect with this line of gaming laptops? How many people do you know have experienced this?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  16. Nexaddo

Nexaddo Private E-2

my laptop is actually over at MSI for repairs regarding this issue.
    it took me this long to send it because i live abroad and was contemplating if the costs of sending it internationally was worth it.

from all the tests i ran it seems to be a GPU related issue, but i wont be 100% sure until ill hear from them when they finish the repairs.

my brother and also a friend of mine, both bought MSI laptops, neither have any problem.
    my brother actually got the same model as u.
    and my friend has a slightly newer model from when the Ivy bridge & GeForce 600s came out.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds