How many are sticking with XP?

Discussion in 'Software' started by DOA, Apr 17, 2014.

1. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

2. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

I have 18 installations of XP that monitor and control machinery, no external communication is possible so they will be staying with XP. No support needed.

3. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

I've got XP Pro and Vista Ultimate on separate drives. I, currently. primarily run XP but did a re-install with a number of changes. I changed the Administrative Password to one that's much more complex and will be changing it about once a month.

I'm NOT running MSE especially in light of the problems with the new engine under XP. Instead, I'm running Comodo Internet Security Premium, SuperAntiSpyware, MalwareBytes AntiMalware, MalwareBytes AntiExploit, Spyware Blaster and WinPatrol Plus.

I've also eliminated apps I used to run that "phoned home". I make daily backups as well.

XP, for me, simply works better and is faster than Vista on my 9 year old and only computer. But, if it reaches the point that XP is impossibe for me to protect in any way, it's gone.

4. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

None (except one) of our XP machines are fit for an upgrade to Windows 7. So we will stick with these until they die a natural death.

Replaced MSE with AVG Free.

5. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I run 7 and 8.1 for my own use but am retaining XP on a VM so I can continue helping old friends who don't want to change. I've deleted the NIC's default gateway so it is unable to access the internet at all.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Two computers with XP. My husband's has been taken off the internet. Mine is on a dual boot with 7. It has network access BUT I created a new admin account then I used the new admin account to limit my previous account to a limited user one. The limited user is the one I log into on the few times I want to check something in XP. All the programs I want installed have already been set up and other than updating MSE and MBAM, I won't be installing anything new.
    I also made a final image of the entire computer and just the XP partition with the final updates installed. So if anything looks suspicious, I'll restore than final image.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds