Black Screen with a mouse cursor

Discussion in 'Software' started by XxROGUExX, Apr 18, 2014.

1. XxROGUExX

XxROGUExX Private E-2

I have read through several threads and they talk about Vista...here is my situation:
    When I start my desktop in normal or safe mode it gets to the Windows logo splash then straight to a black screen with only a mouse cursor. The cursor can be controlled, but no other keyboard or mouse functions. If I boot into advanced boot options I can get to the repair utility which says there is no problem. I can try to run a system restore, but it is running from the recovery partition and there are no restore points for it to find in the partition.

I have run Windows repair from the Windows disk and it says it can find no problem. I have been working with chaslang on the malware side and was directed to come over here. I am attaching the Frst scan I was asked to run. Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer.

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

The mentioned Frst scan doesn't show as an attachment.

3. XxROGUExX

XxROGUExX Private E-2

Sorry about that!

4. XxROGUExX

XxROGUExX Private E-2

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  5. mdonah

Yes, you can only attach a file once no matter in which forum. I took a look at the Frst log and can't find anything myself in regards to the display issue. I did, however note quite a few entries that have the word ROGUE associated to them. Is this due to running RogueKiller?

I'm afraid that I can't be of much help to you. Hopefully, someone who can will jump in.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The OP is running Windows 7 Ultimate for anyone reading. From his first sentence,
    it sounded as if he was running Vista.
    I just wasted time searching for Vista fixes.

7. XxROGUExX

XxROGUExX Private E-2

Sorry about that...I was reading trying to find a fix, but could only find the Vista stuff that sounded similar. I should have been clearer.

Thanks for taking the time to assist!

8. XxROGUExX

XxROGUExX Private E-2

Thanks for taking a look. The computer/user name is ROGUE...sorry for the confusion.

9. mdonah

Yeah, I should have realized that from your user name here on the forum. :-o

10. XxROGUExX

XxROGUExX Private E-2

Does anyone have any idea what I should try? Is there anything I can do to get some helpful information to you?

Thanks,

Steve

11. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You tried restore but did you try selecting last known good configuration?

I found one post where a person running 7 Ultimate typed his password in after the cursor clicked <enter> and was able to get to the desktop so he could do some repairs.

12. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

deleted - duplicated previous suggestion

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds