cannot connect to mcafee web site

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dleo97, Aug 7, 2005.

1. dleo97

dleo97 Private E-2

this is weird, i have 2 computers, one can go to mcafee's site no prob, but the other one says "page cannot be displayed" with ie, tried mozilla and netscape and both say connection refused when trying to connect to mcafee.com. i scanned with spybot, spysweeper, norton, adaware by lavasoft and nada. i turned off the firewall temporarily, nada. infact, i cant even update spysweeper because it goes to webroot's site and says the same thing. other web sites are just fine but it wont go to mcafee!! what in the heck could be wrong?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Do the usual deletion of temp internet files and cookies, reboot and try again, then also check your Hosts file for any entries?

To check Hosts file run this free app Hoster once run, in the left hand window it will show the contents of your hosts file, it should look similar to mine below,

if it has entries from the likes of mcafee, networkassociates etc they will be blocking your access to those sites and will need removing.

3. Press2Esc

Press2Esc Private E-2

goto DOS (START>RUN>enter cmd.... enter "ping mcafee.com" or "ping nai.com".

If "...cound not find host" - looking a dns server related issue,

if "request timed out" - no problem, looking at brower or network issue..

open your browser and surf to "205.227.136.82" - if McAfee homepage comes up, as mentioned previously clean your hosts file...

P2E

open your browser

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds