Wireless Router Configuration help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vds700, Feb 9, 2008.

1. vds700

vds700 Private E-2

I have a D-Link DI 524 UP 802.11g router and having some problems configuring our new internet connection (TPG ADSL 2+). We used to have a Telstra bigpond cable connection and the router worked fine with this. With the new connection, TPG has sent us settings, but I believe they are for the ADSL2+ modem we received ( a Dynalink RTA 1320).

"PPPOE SET UP

1.Internet Connection Type = PPPOE
    2.Username = username@L2TP.tpg.com.au
    3.Password = <your password>
    4.VPI = 8
    5.VCI = 35
    6.Encapsulation = LLC
    7.NAT = Enabled
    8.Dynamic IP - since IP address will be provided by our Internet Server
    9.Wireless Settigns - depends upon you modem (Call OEM Original Equipment Manufacturer for settings needed)"

(tried ringing dlink tech support, but they were not much help)

When I run the router's setup wizard, it detects the PPPoe connection and asks for username and password and service name (optional). I enter the username and password, but I dont know whether I should put anything in the service name. This sets up the wireless connectin. I have a Vista Desktop with a D-Link wireless card and this connects to the network OK but there is no internet access at all. Could someone help me with this? .... thanks very much!

2. pjknz

pjknz Private E-2

Can you ping the Modem, it should have a fixed network address of 10.1.1.1
    If you can ping it you should be able to ping the outside world, try 203.96.152.4
    if that works you have a live connection. It will then come down to the modem set up. Obviously if you are posting here you have some kind of access to the world, so go to the manufacturers web site. If all else fails rftm.

3. vds700

vds700 Private E-2

sorry but how wexactly do you "ping" the router. I do no know what this means. Thanks so much

4. pjknz

pjknz Private E-2

In Windows Start Menu, click on Run then type cmd
    You will get a dos window open
    At the command prompt > type ping 10.1.1.1

ping is a command which sends 32 bytes of data to the IP address of the machine you 'ping'
    you should recieve the following response

Pinging 10.1.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 10.1.1.1: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=255
    Reply from 10.1.1.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=255
    Reply from 10.1.1.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=255
    Reply from 10.1.1.1: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=255

Ping statistics for 10.1.1.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 2ms, Average = 1ms

This means the machine is 'live' on the network, and can be seen from another machine

5. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

In most cases typing the user name and password and leaving every thing else at default should establish the connection.

Otherwise, call you ISP and find out if more credentials are needed.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds