Wireless Configuration Help Needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BlueMoon, Apr 18, 2005.

1. BlueMoon

BlueMoon Private E-2

I currently run a network on a Netgear MR814 wireless router. 3 of the 4 hard-wired ports are taken by computers in one home office (mine). In another home office on the opposite side of my home there is another desktop running wirelessly off of the router in my office. The wireless NIC is a Netgear MA101 USB. Interference from walls, cell phones, cordless phones, etc. has been a constant problem and in the last week I cannot even get a signal to the wireless. I purchased a Linksys 7dBi high gain antenna and installed in on the router, but this has not helped. I moved the PC closer to the router and the signal returned, so I know it is not a configuration problem. My problem is now compounded by the fact that a second PC has been added to the other home office, and it needs Internet access as well. Even if I run a long distance of cable back to the router I have only one open hard-wired port. Can anyone offer any suggestions about how to maintain wireless access to the other home office for both the old and now the new PC? I am wondering if there is a more powerful antenna out there. I have seen a directional antenna but I am not sure if this will solve the interference problem. I am also wondering if there is a reliable way to relay the signal from the router to the other home office.

2. gay2jp

gay2jp Private First Class

Router should handle more than one wireless connection. Try a USB-wireless adaptor with a cantenna. Very directional.

3. BlueMoon

BlueMoon Private E-2

Yes the router will support many wireless connections. The issue has become one of interference. I have never used a cantenna, but have seen a directional antenna. Do you think these more easily overcome obstacles?

4. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds