Computer keeps freezing

Discussion in 'Software' started by kateh, May 18, 2007.

1. kateh

kateh Private E-2

My laptop keeps freezing. It seems to be when I delete files (very random...). I have tried running an anti-virus and each time it gets stuck on the msiprov.dll file. I have therefore assumed that it must be the problem. But before I replace it, does anyone know what it does? And will it be ok for me to replace it?

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

msiprov.dll (Windows Management Instrumentation) is a component from the software Windows Management Instrumentation version 1.50.0 by Microsoft Corporation. msiprov.dll version 1.50.0 has a file size of 421,947 bytes, and is most commonly found under the directory "wbem" with a creation date of March 16, 2005. This is not a known spyware, adware, or trojan component.
    Yes, is ok to replace it.

3. kateh

kateh Private E-2

Thanks for that - I will try and replace it and see if it fixes my computer.
    :)

4. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

This is a Windows XP driver file. A .dll file is an executable file that allows programs to share code and other resources necessary to perform particular tasks. So, yes, you do need it, but you can replace it if you think your version may have become corrupt. There are various driver websites you can download them from, this being one example http://www.driverskit.com/dll/msiprov.dll/2229.html

5. kateh

kateh Private E-2

Ok, so I've replaced the msiprov.dll and my computer is still freezing up. Wonder if anyone can help me? I have tried the following:
    - Run anti virus
    - Run disk cleanup
    - Run disk defrag
    - Run spybot
    - Run ad aware

All of these seem to do nothing and my PC is still freezing up. Seems to be when I delete files, or move them. Whenever Outlook syncs with the server it also freezer the PC.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds