I'd like a free program that is a POWERFUL and FAST shredder

Discussion in 'Software' started by conceptualclarity, Oct 16, 2014.

1. I have a huge amount of unwanted material on my system, which I am seeking to trim greatly prior to backing it up. Most of it is not subject to uninstall procedures or cleaning by programs like CCleaner. I'm dealing with some unwanted/redundant files and folders in the hundreds of MBs range. I'm using Advanced System Care, Glary Utilities, and Ashampoo WinOptimizer from the context menu, but it's going pretty slowly. I'd like a free program that is powerful enough to handle the really big files and is fast.

Computer
    Dell Computer Dimension 2400 (desktop) 2003
    Operating System
    Windows XP Home Edition (original and pre-installed) 32-bit SP3
    reinstalled 02-20-2014
    CPU
    Intel Pentium 4
    Northwood 0.13um Technology
    RAM
    2.00GB DDR @ 166MHz (2.5-3-3-7)
    Motherboard
    Dell Computer Corp. 0G1548 (Microprocessor)
    Graphics
    Default Monitor (1280x1024@60Hz)
    Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller (Dell)
    Storage
    80 GB Seagate ST380011A (ATA) 28 °C
    3.94 GBGB Lexar USB Flash Drive USB Device (USB)
    500.11 GB HGST USB Device (external hard drive)
    Optical Drives
    SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S
    Audio
    Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
    Anti-Virus
    Roboscan

2. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

I would start by using Revo Uninstaller to remove those items that do fall into the normal uninstall category. Then, using your favorite file manager, simply find and delete the reduntant files and folders.

Finally, run CCleaner, goto "Options">"Settings", in the "Secure Deletion" section in the lower portion of the window, select the "Secure file deletion" radio button. In the drop down menu, select the number of passes you want to use for the shredding/secure-deletion process. Three passes is usually sufficient for most purposes.

[​IMG]

Once you've made the settings changes, click the Cleaner button on the left and run as usual.

Unfortunately, file shredding or secure file deletion simply takes time. The more passes the more time.

Edit: Don't quite understand this:

3. I do use Revo.

Edit: Don't quite understand this:
    Quote:
    Most of it is not subject to uninstall procedures or cleaning by programs like CCleaner.[/QUOTE]

CCleaner will shred those temporary files and internet traces, whatever things you configure for at the Cleaner module. But I don't see it offering a shredding option for folders and files in the context menu

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I would start by installing WinDirStat. It lists the contents of your drives and folders in size order and makes finding and deleting unwanted large files a piece of cake. You may want to disable the graphical displays in the settings, as they add nothing to your understanding imo.

5. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

Ah, understood.
    Since you're shredding a large number of files and folders, instead of shredding on an individual(or a few at a time) basis by going through Glary's file shredding dialogue every time, thought it might be simpler to just delete the files and folders then use CCleaner to shred en masse.

Suppose it's six of one and half a dozen of another. Either way will take some time as shredding is not a speedy process.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds