home networking.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cooley346, Apr 16, 2005.

1. cooley346

cooley346 Private E-2

Well I'm trying to learn how to set up a network. I have 2 computers connected to a linksys 4 port dsl router. One computer runs XP the other win2k. How do I get these computers to be able to communicate and use each others program, printers, scanners, and other stuff like that. Thanks in advance for the help

2. SGC_Geek

SGC_Geek Private First Class

1. You are not running a network. You have a workgroup. Make sure both computers are using the same workgroup name (ie. Home, Workgroup). Choose any name you like for your workgroup.

2. Ensure you are connecting your network cables into a valid port on the hub -- not the uplink port.

3. Allow the systems to acquire IPs dynamically.

4. You can use your computer names, IP addresses, or network neighborhood to access the other machine.

for example: \\mycomputer1\<sharename>

Do you know anything about sharing system resources?

Since you have a workgroup, your account from the Win2000 machine will not authenticate on the WinXP computer auto-magically. Workgroups require you to have a user account existing on both machines. Alternatively, you could just login to the other system with a valid account when prompted.

3. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds