Networking XP Home and XP Pro...please help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tomy2tums, Apr 18, 2006.

1. tomy2tums

tomy2tums Private E-2

hi

I am sure I've done something silly but.....

I am networking 2 PCs and my laptop within my house.
    I use a D-link Di624 wireless router, with Telewest 10Mb internet connection.

1 PC has XP Pro
    1 PC has XP Home
    and the laptop is XP Home

They are all on the same Workgoup (Rands family), all use wireless with WEP encryption, and they all use Sygate Personal firewall.

All the firewalls have the ip addresses set up to allow access, (in advanced rules and options). I have set up file and printer sharing on all computers.

And here is the problem;
    The XP Pro PC can see the Laptop and the XP Home PC, (and see into their shared directorys).

The XP Home PC can see the laptop, (and into shared directorys). It can also see the XP Pro PC, but cant see it's directorys, (access denied)

The laptop cant even see who is in the workgroup (permission denied), this is the bit that is really confusing as all other PC can see into laptop!!!!

I can go on MSN messenger if ayone wants to talk me through it.

I thank you so much

t2t.

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

http://www.ezlan.net helps and has plenty of info to keep on hand. If you are not able to browse from the Home to the Pro version of XP, do you have the same username on both? XP home uses simple file sharing, and Pro, does not, so one thing is to make sure that Simple File Sharing is enabled on the Pro in Folder options.

3. tomy2tums

tomy2tums Private E-2

Is that what it takes, making a same username on the XP home machine and the XP Pro machine for it to work?

I am tempted to remove the XP Pro and instal XP Home, I would know it works then.

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Check firewall settings before anything dramatic as replacing the OS.

5. tomy2tums

tomy2tums Private E-2

I've disabled the firewalls on both all PCs, and still no success.

6. tomy2tums

tomy2tums Private E-2

A nice man on the Microsoft forum told me this:

On the XP Pro PC, run the registry editor (Start | Run | regedit) and
    open this key:

HLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSA

Set the value of RestrictAnonymous to 0. Reboot and try accessing the
    XP Pro PC from the other computers again.

and it worked, altough I am going to re-introduce the firewalls etc. etc.

I'll let you know how I get on.

7. tomy2tums

tomy2tums Private E-2

I have re-introduced my firewalls to all PCs and rebooted all PCs

Everything now works fine, fire sharing, printing etc.

Thanks for your help

t2t :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds