HP Pavilion p6120t will not turn on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nickompoop, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Nickompoop

Nickompoop Private E-2

My parents' desktop HP Pavilion p6120t refuses to turn on. Pushing the power button produces no response whatsoever: no fans, no lights, no POST beeps.

There is, however, a green light on the back of the power supply that flicks on and off quickly when the computer is plugged in, but slows down when the computer is unplugged. It stops turning on and off about 3 minutes after the computer is unplugged.

I have cleaned the dust out of the computer's innards and tested whether a stick of RAM was bad by seeing if the PC will turn on with only one stick in. Nothing changed.

Is the power supply bad, or am I missing something?

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. Nickompoop

Nickompoop Private E-2

Thanks for the link. However, I did everything HP's site told me to, short of replacing the power supply, and the computer still won't turn on.

Is there anything else that I could do, or is it pretty much certain the power supply is busted?

4. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

I would say it was a PSU. Is there a spare PSU you can install to check? Might be best to call around and see how much a shop charges to check a PSU.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds