System Restore- saving restore point to disk?

Discussion in 'Software' started by backtothefuture, Aug 13, 2006.

1. backtothefuture

backtothefuture Private E-2

This week I have learned MORE than I ever thought I would want to know about system restore (due to Zonealarm cloggin restore files causing automatic deletion of my restore points). ZA was producing a file a minute and I at one time had over 3 gigs of ZA crap in my restore files. Reverting to an older version solved my problem.

With all my work with System Restore this week, it got me wondering... Microsoft says one cannot remove a restore point one their own. It says they are deleted on a first in first out basis (fifo). When the alotted SR disk space is met, SR automaticly drops the oldest restore point.

Well I tried deleting my oldest RP file myself. It went to the recycle bin. I then opened SR and that restore point was gone. I then went to the recycle bin an restored the RP file. When I opened SR, the deleted restore point was back again. So it looks like it "might" work. I did NOT try a restore, as my system is FINALLY working right after about 20 hours of research an trials.

So my question is..... could one copy the restore point to a backup drive or memory stick, and then insert it back months from now (after they would have normally been deleted)?

Why would someone want to do this? Well, in the event you have to turn off SR (sometimes you must, when ridding a machine of viruses), you loose all your restore points. This way, when you start SR again, you could bring it back to an older (deleted) setting from your saved file on disk.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Dennis

2. backtothefuture

backtothefuture Private E-2

I think I can answer my own question. I did some more research and found this site:
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html

It says you cannot save restore points to disk and use them later.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds