What is the best digital camera around?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Majid, Oct 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Majid

Majid Private E-2

What is the best digital camera around?

2. Alventis

Alventis Private E-2

That very much depends on what you want to do with it. For some, a tiny little no-zoom credit card size camera is perfect. For others, nothing less than SLR will do. What are your priorities? List as many as you can in decreasing order of importance (and by the time you're done you will have answered your own question!).

BTW, your signature's vB code doesn't work. Take a look at your last post to see what I mean.

Michel

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2006
  3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

That is on purpose. URLs and vB code are not enabled for signature lines and if you wish to advertise your business then please contact the owners of Majorgeeks for best advertising rates.

They can be contacted by emailing tim [at] majorgeeks.com or jim [at] majorgeeks.com

Further linking to your business within a post will result in your urls deleted and maybe even you from the site, you have it in your profile homepage and that is enough, cheers :)

4. sl00py99

sl00py99 Private First Class

:eek: Hi. The short answer is: one that doesn't say HP anywhere on it. I had a CCD sensor fail on me just after the warranty period was up (imagine that), and they only want half the original price of the camera ($400) just for the sensor. Good night and good luck. Oh, by the way, did I forget to mention to avoid HP?

5. DavidGP

Whats the best, well open ended question as I would say if you want the best you aim for the Nikon D2Xs ( 12.2mp ~ Body only £2500+ ) or the Canon EOS 400D ( 10.1mp ~ Body only £500), both pro cameras which use interchangable lenses. Possible one coming soon is the Fuji S5 Pro ( effective 12.3mp interpolated 6.1mp real pixels ).

But if its a compact digital your after then, stick to Canon, Olympus, Fuji, Nikon, Richo and Sony brands.... but to which one depends on what you wish to use it for and how much your prepared to spend?

A note on HP cameras, they and I dont know if they are still afflicted with this issue, but their JPEG save format was not compatible with highstreet or pro lab equipment, especially the Fuji Frontier digital laser printers, you would have to re-save all the images off your mediacard to your PC ( not helpful if you didnt have a PC ) and resave them with a non-HP graphics program to convert the jpeg format back to a standard legit one and burn to CD. I not been in the photo inductry for a few years so this may have changed, but it was a PITA and one me and Fuji techs did chat on alot.

6. Majid

Majid Private E-2

No .. I'm looking for a compact camera >> Best one >> 2006 Release >> 8.0 to 10.5 mp

7. DavidGP

8. mulletgut

mulletgut Private First Class

The 2 best sites with the most comprehensive reviews of almost all available cameras.

steves digicams
    and
    DPreview
    I recommend all buyers look here for the features and performance they want. Both great sites with plenty of info.

9. bigfurrykid

bigfurrykid Sergeant

It all depends on what you want it to do and how much you want to spend.

For compact point and shoot cameras, there are quite a few choices.

For any type of cameras, I don't think you can go wrong with a Canon.

The best starting place would be to determine a budget and then compare based on your needs.

10. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

11. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Why are you two dredging up a thread that is more than 4 years old! If you want to talk digital cameras, start a new thread.

12. aatony

aatony Private E-2

They could be recycling an old thread to keep it out of a cyber landfill:confused

I jumped at that chance to learn something about one of my little hobbies. I loved my Fuji s7000 for at least 200,000 pics. Lent it to a teen for her trip to China, (got a few nice pics of the great wall), and back to me again for more abuse. It finally succumbed. To my dismay the cost went from approximately $350 to $1000. I will send it for service at some point. I may go back to one of my Sonys because the little Nikon is just not cutting the mustard for my shoot from the hip style (knowledge level) I trashed one of those eos rebels in a mere couple thousand shots, though its probablyminor cleaning/service, it'll sit in the drawer for a long time.

{No disrespect intended Halo, I like reading your posts! and I found this interesting} Consider the source!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  13. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Indeed, info from 4 years ago regarding Digital cameras is no longer viable info. Very dated and obsolete!! Thread closed. Start one in the Electronics forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds