New Video Card/Motherboard advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Goose31, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Goose31

Goose31 Private E-2

Well, I'm going to buy a new motherboard and video card, and I need some advice.

Here's my CPU's information: http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/8947/cpustats0zt.jpg

I'm looking for a motherboard that has atleast one PCI-E slot that will work on this processor, then, I'll need help finding a video card that is good for games such as Counter-Strike: Source and will get decent FPS.

Thanks,

- Goose

2. Goose31

Goose31 Private E-2

3. Goose31

Goose31 Private E-2

So noone has an answer? =(

4. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

are you replacing parts in a previous build? because if you are, this mobo supports DDR2 and most likely, your old stuff is DDR1. Dont know anything about Jetway stuff but the reviews look promising. Thats a great video card too, can max out CS:S no problem, maybe not at highest res tho...if u ever need a performance boost in the future you can always add another 6800gs for SLI. Good choice

hmmm....after looking at your log, you do infact have ddr1 ram which, to my knowledge, run in a ddr2 mobo. it also says that your processor is unknown? what does the sticker on your case say?

lol running narrative here....

dell website says celeron procs for your model only run up to 2.6ghz so its a p4. probably socket 478. could you post a screen shot of the CPU info? if i had the time, id help look for a new mobo for ya but maybe sumone else can handle that.

5. Goose31

Goose31 Private E-2

Here's my System Info:

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/2159/cpustats25pv.jpg

I knew it was a P4, didn't realize that it said 'Unkown'. :/

What I'm trying to do is build a 'Gaming System' over time (I'm only 13). I can play CS: S on my mother's laptop (40-60 FPS), but my mom is giving that to my brother. So, I need a new video card and mobo before a new hard drive (as you can see in the picture, I have ~4.5 GiB left).

6. Raistlyyn

Raistlyyn Private E-2

If you buy that motherboard you will also have to get new ram. DDR will not work in a DDR2 motherboard.

7. Goose31

Goose31 Private E-2

Okay, that's easy enough for me... my friend's dad owns a PC shop and has lots of extra ram. He doesn't have any Video Cards that I'd want though.

So the video card and motherboard are compatible with each other and my processor?

8. Goose31

Goose31 Private E-2

9. Tubnotub1

Tubnotub1 Private First Class

Hi Goose, im gonna help you out the best I can. However, a word of warning, im an "AMD Guy" so some of my info might be wrong. From what i can tell from your everst file, your CPU is a 478 pin CPU, this ofcourse limits you to 478 pin mobos.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0509907+1070610002&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=280

The above link is a search of all the mobos that newegg sells that are 478 pin mobos. This should help you atleast begin to find the mobo you want. One that stands out in particular is

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131484

This particular mobo is made by the company ASUS, a very highly respected company, as such it comes at a premium price. It comes with 2 sata connections, raid 0/1 drivers, 5 pci slots, and one AGP 8X slot. Add in 4 DIMM slots and Dual Channel support and you have a winning mobo! I have a feeling that the 478 pin technology is so outdated that you are not going to find a mobo with a PCI-E slot on it. However, AGP is not dead... yet.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130273

This would be a great product and would surely crush CS:S with impunity!

One more thing to note is the fact that 478 pin config ONLY supports regular DDR, thus you will not have to get new ram. Good luck, and if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

10. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

upgrading the mobo AND buying a 7800gs is gonna cost u a bundle which im guessing at your age you dont have that kinda cash floating around (i know i sure didnt lol) I'd just stick with that mobo (for now) and maybe just buy a cheap AGP card (6600gt, 6800) for around 100 bucks and save up for an uber kickass gaming system later.

Like Tubnotub said, 478 is gettin old (i got one too, a 3ghz one tho and its one hell of an overclocker) and its not really worth buying an outdated mobo to go with an somewhat outdated proc; kinda a waste of money. You could always overclock your processor (if you're new to that stuff, check out the overclockers forum or talk to me on AIM) but being a Dell its hard to find a way to OC it. Anymore questions, ill check back tomorrow. Later dude

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds