Why do some pc fans have 3 wires and some don't?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by superstar, May 26, 2009.

1. superstar

superstar Major-Superstar

Why do some pc fans have 3 wires [ie: red, black, and yellow], and some pc fans just have two [ie: red, and black]. A friend of mine told me that the yellow wire does nothing... Is this true? I want to take the white plug off a 3 wire fan and put the wires on a white 2 wire plug.

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

All fans have 2 power wires - DC ones have + and -.

Without these they will not run.

With just 2 wires they either run or they don't ie the speed is constant.

More modern fans also have built in speed sensors. The signal from this is fed down the third wire to control circuitry on the motherboard which reports the speed the fan is running at to the BIOS and programs like speedfan.

A modern BIOS can exert conrol over this speed by varying the supplied voltage. Some programs can also do this (but not Windows itself).

Its a bit like the electric fan in your automobile.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds