My Computer Not Reading CD/DVD's

Discussion in 'Software' started by LazyLew, Sep 19, 2007.

1. LazyLew

LazyLew Private E-2

I work in the IT dept of a small company. I have one user on a Dell Optiplex GX270 PC. When we insert a CD or DVD into either of his DVD drives, Windows Explorer and My Computer do not "see" the disk. However, if I go to Computer Management Console and use Disk Management, it does show the disk. I can right click there and access the disk.
    I have tried repairing Windows using the install disk, but this does not help. The hard drive is badly fragmented, but it is 95% full and I am unable to defrag. Any suggestions on a way to correct this problem?

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Go into the Device Manager, right click on the CD/DVD drive(s) in question and select uninstall. Then reboot the PC. This will 'force' Windows to recognize the 'new' drive(s) and clean drivers will be installed as the drives are recognized by Windows. It could be the built-in Windows drivers had become corrupt. As for defragging the hard drive: dowload and run a good drive cleaning utility (CCleaner is popular; I also like Zappit! and ATF and Disk Cleaner v1.5.7). This will get rid of LOTS of junk files, temp files, and other space wasting items. On really clogged drives, I usually run at least 2 different drive cleaners, sometimes as many as 5! Different apps clean different areas and it can be surprising how much stuff is found by the different programs. After running the cleaners, uninstall any unused programs using Add/Remove Programs in the control panel. Then download and run one of the defraggers available here at Major Geeks. I like Disk Keeper Lite and AusLogics; they're both free and faster and better than the Windows defrag program. This post has become far too long so I'll end it here. Good luck ;)
    :major And Welcome to Major Geeks! :major

hd2k

All the programs I mentioned (and MANY other) are free and available in the Drive Cleaners section and the Drive Utilities section here at MajorGeeks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds