Reading second drive after system disc swap

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bugsey Hogan, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Bugsey Hogan

Bugsey Hogan Private E-2

I have recently installed windows xp on a harddrive which I had replaced in a computer as the system had become badly corupted or virused you know the kind of thing runtime errors iternet crashes etc did not want to formatt the old disc which I still have standing by case I lost somthing I might later want.The problem is the operateing system disc is working fine but the secondry hd which was partitioned(working perfectly before the primary drive swap) now it shows two drive letters E and F but it only allows me to view the E partition F says the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable. Any suggestions other than replaceing the old hd to see if that still reads it.Hope you can follow this any help most appreciated as always

2. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

I take it that you set the jumpers correctly on the drives - the new one as Master and the second as slave?

3. Bugsey Hogan

Bugsey Hogan Private E-2

drive or partition shows up in disk management but no file system shown although it says healty and active.:confused Also anybody refresh my brain as to how to get to the A prompt can I get to it direct from windows.:eek:

4. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

You can. Bring up the MS-DOS window (Start>programs>Accessories>Command Prompt) Then Type A:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds