Trouble connecting to network, help please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by martinihigh, Nov 5, 2004.

1. martinihigh

martinihigh Private E-2

Hi there
    I have trouble connecting to the network. Everything seems fine under network connection properties, but when i try to refresh the IP address, the request cannot be completed and it asks me to contact my network administrator. I live in a student apartment and i am connected to their network. It runs a DHCP server, with IP address 10.2.250.238, subnet mask 255.255.0.0, default gateway of 10.2.0.1. The DHCP server's address is 139.130.155.66. I ran ad-aware SE and Norton Antivirus but the system is clean. Any help? Please any help is appreciated as i need my internet connection back.

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

My first thought would be to contact the person in charge of the network

3. martinihigh

martinihigh Private E-2

I contacted the network administrator and he says that everything seems to be working fine. I'm using my laptop to access the net and everything seems fine too. Could it be some worm/virus or some faulty network settings? please help..

4. martinihigh

martinihigh Private E-2

I came across a reply about corrupted winsock drivers and tried the remedy. Now i can renew my ip address but when i try to ping my self, i get all 4 requests timed out. Any ideas? i have no trouble with ipconfig as it seems to work fine. This rules out any DHCP server problems. And it seems to be something to do with my network adapter. I am using Intel Pro/100 VE Network card that came with my Dell PC. Tried reinstalling the network adapter but to no avail. Please help.

5. Heritage92

Heritage92 Private E-2

I appear to be in the same situation. This has happened to me twice now after running Ad-Aware. The last time I was able to run the networking wizard in XP to completely reconfigure the wireless network definition on the laptop(my own personal home based wireless). However, this second time, that is not proving to be successful. I am very interested in being kept aware of solutions that you find. I too will try to post any findings that I come across. Hard wiring the laptop with an ethernet cable gets the same result, DHCP will not renew the IP.

6. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Is your pc set to obtain an IP automatically? If you have a static ip it will not release/renew.
    if not use an ip like 10.2.248.248 (hopefully up there high enough no is using it) and see what happens. Any ip in the 10.2.x.x network.

7. savinh

savinh Private E-2

8. Heritage92

Heritage92 Private E-2

I don't want to take over Martini's thread here, but will throw in more info.

I have tried turning off DHCP on the client by hard setting a fixed IP within the range of IPs set up on the router. The client then reports connecting to the network with full connectivity, however the IE browser still does not communicate to the outside world. The router does not show the client in the client table list. I have also tried turning off WEP, no help. Have uninstalled and turned off all firewalls on the client, no help.

Martini, any progress?

Thanks to any and all that might have an idea.

9. martinihigh

martinihigh Private E-2

yea i have the same problem
    it seems that 10.2.250.238 is the IP address assigned to my desktop. Like Heritage92, it doesn't say limited or no connectivity, rather it says connected. Just that my browser can't connect to the outside world. Any help? I don't think it's the network setup as no setup was required when i first used it but i shall give it a try. Thanks for the reply people.

10. Heritage92

Heritage92 Private E-2

Actually, save a step.... go to <http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html>

I just got some info from LavaSoft. Go to <http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=50939> there is a winsock routine there. I ran that and was then able to get through. I will be curious to know if this also fixes your problem. Good Luck!!!! :)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2004
  11. martinihigh

martinihigh Private E-2

I tried fixing winsock to no avail, also when i run ipconfig and i try to ping my own ip address assigned by DHCP server, i get request timed out. Does this mean anything? And, when i check my Msconfig, remote procedure call seems to be stopped. Is this a virus?

12. Heritage92

Heritage92 Private E-2

Since I somewhat rudely entered your post I don't want to just leave you hanging, even though I did get my problem fixed.

I am becoming convinced that some of the things that Ad-Aware detects and "cleans" are unfortunately still needed for proper XP operation. So, I'll ask a few questions that might help lead you to something.

First, did you create a backup of the registry before you ran Ad-Aware? If so, can you restore? Now, this most likely will also bring back a lot of the nasties that we were both trying to get rid of in the first place. The thought process I'm following here is to restore and run Ad-Aware again, only this time being much more detailed about what you allow it to "fix".

Another possibility is to try uninstalling the TCP/IP protocol, and then re-installing it. If for any reason there are files that have been corrupted, this might have a chance of cleaning them up. In my case, I was not able to do this. XP did not enable the Uninstall button for TCP/IP. I don't know if that was specific to my install or if that is universal with XP.

Do you get a message from ipconfig that includes something about performing an operation on something that is not a socket? If so, that would seem to indicate that you do still have a potential winsock issue. You may try running the winsock fix again. I'm not sure exactly why, but it did not solve my problem the first time either. I ran it, and did not get immediate results. I then made sure all of my network settings were consistent with my network, ran it again, and then got through.

I don't know if any of this will help. But, I will keep watching to see if you solve your issue. I guess I am now curious. Again, Good Luck!

13. Mukashi

Mukashi Private E-2

Thanks to Heritage92 I have repaired my problem. The Winsock XP Fix worked great. If you are having problem with not being able to see the outside world VIA internet I encourage you to try this program. I too will include the link to the site: http://www.spychecker.com/download/download_winsockxpfix.html

Thanks againg Heritage92 :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds