Yahoo! Messenger

Discussion in 'Software' started by mcsmc, May 31, 2008.

1. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

First of all, my specs:

I'm running Windows XP Pro Media Center (edit: SP2) on a Sony Vaio laptop with a T2300 (1.66Ghz Intel Core Duo) processor, 1.5GB RAM. I use Avast! for antivirus, and Comodo Firewall Pro for a firewall (Windows firewall is also enabled). I don't have any other anti-malware programs running.

My ISP is a shared satellite connection (I'm deployed military). It's slow at times, but it's hardly ever so slow that I can't at least login to YIM.

I've been using Yahoo! Messenger for years. Right now, I'm using the latest Beta (I believe v9). It would connect normally and everything until a few days ago. Now, whenever I try to connect, it will SOMETIMES connect (I've noticed it has a higher success rate after repairing the internet connection, and/or rebooting the computer), but most of the time, it will simply go to the "try again" window.

The only thing I can think of is that the firewall has something to do with it, because the firewall is a recent addition to my computer. However, the login problems did not start when I installed the firewall... it started days later.

I've ruled out username/password issues, because I have my login info saved. Also, I can login to MSN Messenger just fine (and rather quickly too, considering my internet connection).

I recently ran a complete MG computer cleaning procedure... and I'm confident it's not a malware issue.

The weird thing is, sometimes the main YIM window will be stuck on the "signing in" phase, and a buddy logging on or off pops up on the right bottom corner of my screen, as if I were logged in... but then it goes back to the "try again" popup window.

Does anyone have any ideas for me?

EDIT: Now it just logged in like it normally would in the past. I'd like to think it has something to do with my ISP, but every other aspect of the internet (web browsing, MSN Messenger, etc.) don't have any issues. This is rather frustrating.

2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

honestly, it sounds like a connection issue, nothing more...maybe it's out of your control. maybe not...might just want to check the box in the yim prefs window to 'stand by and wait until i connect to the internet'

3. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Yeah... I already have that checked, actually. And I agree, it's probably an issue out of my control. I'm just wondering if the firewall could be somehow compounding the issue.

I appreciate your help and advice, though!

4. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Disable either the Windows or Comodo firewall. Only one should be used and that could be causing problems for you.

5. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Alright, I'll try that. Thanks for the tip!

I know anti-malware applications can conflict with each other... I never figured Windows firewall could cause problems when a third party firewall was active.

6. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

another thing i just noticed (i just d/l the new beta) and i had to update adobe flash in order for it to work.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds