IE, Firefox and Chrome browser crash when adding attachments to email

Discussion in 'Software' started by crazy_jade, Jun 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crazy_jade

crazy_jade Private E-2

Hello, I am hoping someone can help me with this. My sister was on my laptop today and mentioned that she could not add any attachments to her gmail account.

I tested it in her user account as well as mine and sure enough the browser would crash as soon as you would hit the "Browse" button to add any attachment. I have tried it in Internet Explorer 8.0; Firefox 3.0.11 and Chrome 2.0.172.31

I have also tried attaching files in Gmail, Yahoo Mail, Hotmail as well as my school account. I am running out of options. Does anyone know what might be the issue.

2. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

does it just crash the browser or does it come up with a error message.

3. crazy_jade

crazy_jade Private E-2

In firefox and chrome it completely crashes the browser with firefox asking if you want send a report.

IE 8.0 gives an error message saying "A tab has been recovered. A problem with this web page caused Internet Explorer to close and reopen the tab"

4. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

how large is the attachment? or does it crash regardless of the file type or size?

try opening firefox in safe mode, it can be found in the start menu/programs/mozilla firefox/mozilla firefox (safe mode)

5. crazy_jade

crazy_jade Private E-2

Hey,

Thanks for your help. It is not an issue with firefox as it happens in Ie and Chrome as well.

The browser crashes once you click on "Browse" so it never actually opens up the window that allows you to choose the file.

I have also discovered that it does the same thing if you try to save a file. So if you right click on an image and try to "Save As" it will also crash the browser.

6. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

does it also occur using other programs? (other than web browsers)

have you done a malware scan of the computer?
    also, what version of windows? can you do a test, and create a new user account (goto user accounts in the control panel, and create new user) and log into that new account and see if the problem occurs there as well

7. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

Have you tried uninstalling one of the browsers and downloading it and installing it again to see if that works. if you havn't done so try doing that with firefox first if that don't work try the same procedure with the other browsers you have got installed on your computer.

8. crazy_jade

crazy_jade Private E-2

It was definitely not a problem with any of my browsers. It was with whatever script is run whenever you save/attach/upload a file.

I tried everything under the sun including restoring my computer, running malaware scans, uninstalling and reinstalling numerous applications with nothing fixing it. Finally, I manually installed Vista SP2 by first downloading it on another computer and transferring it to my computer (because it would crash the browser if I tried to save it on my pc) and it FIXED THE PROBLEM!!!

So I never figured out what the problem was but the fix that I found was to install SP2.

9. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

that's great that it worked. I figured it was nothing to do with browsers. i hope the problem stays away...good luck.

10. mmdobies

mmdobies Private E-2

I have this exact same problem. When attempting to send an e-mail with an attachement, simply hitting the "attach" button causes the browser, any browser, to crash. Likewise, trying to save a web page or, for that matter, trying to use "save as" crashes the browser.

I see the original poster apparently solved the problem by "copying in" Vista Service Pack 2. But, My lap top is running the following:

Operating System: Windows 7 Premium Home Edition

Internet Explorer 9 (more specifically, 9.08112.16421)

Firefox: 11.0

Anti Virus: Avast 120804-0

SO... I'm thinking my lappy would simply snicker at a Vista service pack. Any ideas?

11. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

I would suggest you make a new post, as this is somewhat old, and a different operating system. And, this problem was never really fixed or figured out.

12. mmdobies

mmdobies Private E-2

Thanks. Will do... ;)

13. DrofnG

DrofnG Private E-2

I have the exact same problem. I'm using Windows 7 and all of a sudden I cannot attach files or open attachments. This applies to Chrome, Firefox and IE and both Outlook and Gmail. I´m also using Moodle and if I try to open an attachment there it crashes the browser. Just stops responding.

I would so appreciate some help here as I have no idea of what to do. I´ve not downloaded anything and as this is my work machine I only do safe downloads (if there is such a thing). Trend Micro and Malwarebytes scan my laptop every day.

cheers
    Dröfn

ps I´m a new user and I just cannot see how to post a new thread?

14. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hi....and welcome.:)

To start a new thread with your issue (which I'm going to ask that you do and going to lock this old thread), go to the main Software forum page: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21 and on top is a brown button that says 'New Thread'. Click that and you should be good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds