Can someone reco cheap pc w/AMD 690 or ATI Xpress 200 chipset

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zapp, Jul 14, 2010.

1. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

Some of you gamesters probably can answer this in a flash. I'm trying to get latest/greatest FSB specs. My understanding is that Dell and other big makers [which produce a lot of excess that spills into the ebay aftermarket] are using either/both the ATI Xpress 200 chipset or MD 690, both of which seem to support Bus speeds to 1066 depending on which CPU is employed.

I'd like to know a couple of models I could browse for, or a mboard or two that I could build up.

thx

p.s. one motherboard that seems to have the right support is Asus P5RD1-VM LGA775

2. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Why do you need such specific motherboard? Also do you need a Intel or AMD board. MD 690 is for AMD chips. The mobo you linked is for Intel Chips

The FSB is only as fast as your CPU supports. If you have a 1600 max FSB but only a 1066 cpu the fsb will run at 1066.

The latest and greatest isn't FSB. There is a new system. Intel is QPI and AMD is HT

Are you building a new system or upgrading the mobo of a existing system.

3. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

its not the mboard itself but the bus speed I'm after. on a budget. the ones I've seen so far are like 80 bucks for the bare mboard, ++200 and to the roof for whole systems. i want the 1666 bus speed

4. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Well like I said before the BUS speed only runs at what your CPU supports

So like I said before if you have a CPU that supports 1066 FSB it will run at 1066 FSB. Even though your motherboard has 1600 it wont run at 1600 and will be useless and a waste of money unless you upgrade your CPU later on but FSB is being phased out.

Could you explain more what your trying to do? I can give you better advise then.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds