Numeric keys acting as function keys. Help!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Drithleach, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Drithleach

Drithleach Private E-2

Hi,

Sorry if this seems a silly question, but it is driving me mad!!

Today when I started up my computer (Sony Vaio) the normal numerical keys (the ones at the top, not the number pad at the right) are behaving like the function keys. Numlk is not on. The delete key is also not quite right. The only thing I have done differently is last night a windows update installed. I tried going back to a prior restore point just in case, but it wont restore to a prior point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, hopefully it is a quick thing. I'm using windows 7 home premium.

Thanks

2. Drithleach

Drithleach Private E-2

I should add that I have tried reinstalling the keyboard, and using system restore (it says that it wont let the system restore as something is using one of the files i.e. virus software, but I dont have any running - error 0x80070005, but I managed a system restore from safe mode - problem is still there). I have also spent 1 hour on the phone to Sony - who can only suggest a return to factory settings - but I really dont want to have to do that right now).

The numerical keys will still work (see above) I just get the addded options also. The numerical keypad is also behaving oddly, i.e. when I press 1 I get "21".

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

Welcome to majorgeeks!

Do you have mouse keys turned on by any chance?

Click the "start" button, type in mouse, choose "change how your mouse works".

If checked, uncheck "Turn on Mouse Keys".

4. Drithleach

Drithleach Private E-2

Hello! :)

No, the box isn't checked, and thank you for your welcome.

5. theefool

theefool Geekified

Crap, re-read your post. Your f-lock button is probably selected. Hit the F-lock, and try your keys again. Though, now that I think about it, this may not work either. Try any way.

Do you have another keyboard to try?

6. Drithleach

Drithleach Private E-2

Where is f-lock? I have a numlk/scr lk key - and that is off. I have also tried pressing Fn with this key - but it makes no difference.

I wont have a keyboard until tomorrow (when I go and get the cheapest one I can find!).

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

fn key? Is this a laptop?

8. Drithleach

Drithleach Private E-2

Yes :-o

9. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Which model laptop? I just want to find a picture of the keyboard.

10. theefool

theefool Geekified

Good idea! ;)

11. Drithleach

Drithleach Private E-2

Vpcec3soe

12. sach2

Hmm, I can't find a picture very easily but it looks fairly standard from the part I can see.

http://www.hannabrowne.com/sony-vaio-vpc-ea3m1e-17-e-series-notebook.html

Can you explain the above a bit more--how are your presented with options? How difficult was it to type that error code?

13. Drithleach

Drithleach Private E-2

It is exactly as if I were pressing the F1 button along with the normal 1 button, i.e. I press 1 - and the firefox help site unhelpfully opens, and I have to come back to this site and continue typing, but my number is there. If I type 2, nothing happens, but the number is typed correctly. With 3 I am taken down to the bottom of the page, but the number also displays, etc.

The numeric keypad to the right >>>>> [this is a 17 inch laptop], if I press the one key I get this: 21
    with two I get: 21
    three: .3
    4,5,6,7,8,9 all work fine. My delete key displays: .3
    My delete key above the qwerty will delete, but only one space at a time.

:(

14. sach2

I'm really not sure what is going on here. The fact that all the weirdness seems to involve adjacent keys makes it seem like a hardware/keyboard problem.

Do the keys react the same in Internet Explorer or Notepad?

15. Drithleach

Drithleach Private E-2

Yes, the weirdness happens everywhere (opening whichever help is appropriate). It is very odd.

16. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

If you boot into Safe Mode (F8 at boot and choose Safe Mode with Networking) does this still happen?

Any yellow ! marks in device manager and if so by what devices?

Have you malware scanned and a great guide is HERE but if anything is found do please start a new thread in the malware part of the Majorgeeks forum and attach the logs.

17. Drithleach

Drithleach Private E-2

Thanks everyone for the help so far!

Yep - still happens in safe mode. No yellow ! in device manager.

I have run trend micro and the superantispyware scans, with nothing other than tracking cookies found (and removed). I'm off to get a cheap keyboard just in case there is something up with the laptop one [dont know if that will help or not]

Thank you! I am not sure what more I can do.

18. Drithleach

Drithleach Private E-2

So here I am with my new keyboard!!! Aaaaaaaaand:

Yay!!! Temp fix. :drool

Hmmmm, so with my new plug in keyboard there is no problem with the numerical keys - but with the sony laptop keyboard the problem remains. What does this mean? I love my laptop, it is only 3 months old, and so beautiful :(

19. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If the external works but not the internal, it points more to a hardware rather than a software problem.

If it is only three months old, you might just be able to get it repaired under warranty.

20. sach2

Hi,

I'm glad your external keyboard is working.

I agree with plodr, give Sony another call and tell them the external keyboard works fine. That points to a problem with the laptop's keyboard not software. If the keyboard settings in Windows were causing the problem then it would appear on both keyboards.

*I take it when you said you tried reinstalling the keyboard you meant the driver in Device Manager? If that is the case then you really have done all that you can. The keyboard must be replaced and it should be a warranty repair. I think that it involves numbers is just a coincidence since they happen to be along the edges of the keyboard.

21. Drithleach

Drithleach Private E-2

Well, I was just about to contact Sony again (now that I have done my reports etc and can actually be without my main comp for a few days) and.... the keys are working again :confused *sigh* well I suppose i have over a year and a half left on the guarantee so if it happens again....

Thanks for all your help!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds