Why is Internet Explorer using Firefox to open pages?

Discussion in 'Software' started by datboytaz, Apr 17, 2012.

1. datboytaz

datboytaz Private E-2

I had my comp crash a few weeks ago & after getting it corrected, ever since then anytime I try to use IE8, its not working right. When I open IE8 originally, its takes me to my AOL homepage. But then as soon as I try to go to ANY pages, I type in the address bar, click enter & it uses Firefox instead of using IE8 to go to the page & that not what I want otherwise I'd be on Firefox @ that moment instead of IE8. I've tried going into internet options on both programs & changing it but its still doing it wrong. I've even uninstalled both programs & it still does it. Can someone tell me the way to fix this problem? Its drivin me nuts cause there have always been some pages Firefox is too slow on, so I use IE8 & cant for the past couple weeks.

Thanks

2. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

Have you run any kinda Virus scans or malware scans.
    All so Witch is your Default browser IE8 or Firefox.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

In the right column of Programs, click on Set Program Access and Defaults.
    In mine Custom is the choice. I click the down arrow aside of Custom, give it time to populate, then another window shows up allowing me to make my choices. Go through the choices and change anything that needs to be changed.

4. datboytaz

datboytaz Private E-2

ok, I've ran tons of virus & malware scan thru avg, norton & malware bytes, nothing found. As for doing the "right click in programs list" thing, doesn't give me any of those options. I'm on old win xp SP3. Any additional help is appreciated

5. Goldenskull

You should be able to go through Start/Control Panel/Then Network and Internet Connections/Then Internet options

Then in Internet Properties Go to Click on Programs Then in Default web browser click on make default.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The directions I gave are for XP SP3, Home edition. You don't right click on the programs list. You open the programs list and in the right column under Control Panel you will see Set Program Access and Defaults. You left click on all the choices - no right clicks.
    It does take some time after clciking for the popup box to open so be patient.

7. datboytaz

datboytaz Private E-2

k, well IDK why but I dont have control panel or anything on the right side of my start menu. Ever since I had to reinstall Windows I've had nothing but problems. 90% of files are set as hidden. None of my programs are under the start tab. Sorry, should said that before so could get a lil better directions.

Thanks for the time, help & patience

8. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

See if running unhide.exe fixes the problem with your files being hidden.

9. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

If Control Panel is still missing from the start menu
    • Right click on the Start button and select Properties.
    • If the Start Menu radio button is selected, then click Customize > Advanced tab.
    • Under Start menu items, make sure you select for Control Panel * Display as a link
    • Look through the rest of the options and adjust them to suit.

10. Goldenskull

Xp is pretty much the same all the way around.No matter how you look at it.i used both 32bit and 64bit versions both pretty much the same.But the difference is the more memory usage with 64bit.

11. Goldenskull

Did you do a Full reformat and not a Quick one.Normally if you do a quick Format it will leave files be hind.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  12. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

Considering you've problems 90% of the time this may be of little use at this point, but another way to bring up the "Set Program Access and Defaults" window is:

Press the [Windows]+[R] key combination to bring up the "Run" dialogue box.
    Type or copy and paste->> control.exe appwiz.cpl,,3 <<-in the "open" text area.
    Hit "Enter" or click the "OK" button.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds