BIOS Password issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mcsmc, May 7, 2008.

1. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

First of all, I hope I'm posting this in the correct subforum.

Secondly, the issue is this:

I set a supervisor BIOS password on my computer (Sony Vaio VGN-FE670G) a long time ago, wrote it down, and subsequently lost the paper that I'd written it on. I have a user password I use for boot up, and have forgotten the supervisor password. Without the supervisor password, I can't make ANY BIOS changes.

I was wondering if anyone knows how to reset this particular computer's BIOS/CMOS. I've done a bit of reading, and have figured out that laptops now are pretty resilient to being reset (due to theft, etc.). I contacted Sony about the issue, but they require a proof of purchase to be faxed to them. I bought this computer almost 2 years ago, and no longer have the receipt (why should I, since the warranty is expired?).

I'm just not sure what to do. Do the !BIOS, cmospwd 5.0, etc. work on laptops? I couldn't really figure out how cmospwd 5.0 works, anyway. I haven't run either program from bootup (are they bootable?), but within the cmd window of my operating system (Windows XP Pro (MCE) SP2), with no results. I'm hesitant to try the !BIOS forced BIOS panic feature.

I've tried all of the master passwords for the bios (Phoenix NoteBIOS v4, release 6.1). I have a vague idea of what my password is... however, every possible combination of the elements I thought it included don't work.

Not only that, but this laptop apparently has beefed up BIOS security as there IS no "master" password... if you put in 3 wrong passwords, it comes up with a 12 digit (or longer) key that you give to Sony Support, which in turn produces a unique one time master password. Every time I reboot and give 3 wrong passwords, the key changes.

So... does anyone have any solutions that will work?

Thanks in advance.

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Again and Again

Keep the paperwork safe.

I'm afraid you will have to pay Sony or a reputable repairer to sort this one for you.

You might have one ray of hope, if you were the original purchaser.
    Businesses need to keep their accounts for quite a few more years than 2 (tax laws) so go back to the supplier and see if you can get a copy of the original purchase docs.

3. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

4. smita

smita Private E-2

Hi
    My Computer Was Hang I Switch Off But It Could Not Stopped Then I Remove Battery Directliy Then I Start Computer And Computer Said Wright Password

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds