Is the CCleaner registry cleaner safe to use?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mcduke, Apr 28, 2008.

1. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

I use ccleaner for removing cookies, ect. and had the registry cleaner check my system for registry integrity. Wow, it came up with about 2-3 pages of stuff it says is not needed. I'm alittle hesitant to let it go ahead and clean all this stuff out. Anyone familiar with this part of ccleaner and is it safe to use??

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Yes, it is pretty safe. Nearly all the regulars here use it. There have been a couple of complaints from folks but it probably wasn't CCleaner that caused their issues.
    When using a reg cleaner, it is always best to make a backup of your registry first. And CCleaner's default settings do ask if you want to back up.
    If this is your first time cleaning your reg or it has been awhile, there will be quite a bit there. Sometimes it will take 2-3 times of running CCleaner's reg tool to get them all.

3. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Wow, it came up with about 2-3 pages of stuff it says is not needed. I'm a little hesitant to let it go ahead and clean all this stuff out. Anyone familiar with this part of CCleaner and is it safe to use?? mcduke <<

CCleaner is safe to use - both the cleaner and registry cleaner - as far as I know and I've used it every day since version CCleaner 1.16.082 was released (which was a mere 360 KB compared to 2.5mg nowadays!).

I have used the CCleaner "Issues section" to clean my registry; using the default settings when the program is installed, (too many times to count) over the years, and have never experienced any problems. You can also use it to remove unused, temporary and other junk files from your system.

CCleaner is especially helpful for anyone who installs/reinstalls or removes programs on a regular basis. The "Issues" section is very useful for removing registry entries that go nowhere and works wonders removing other various program 'leftovers' that are obsolete, or aren't listed in Add/Remove after you attempt to uninstall programs and utilities.

Side Note: If you're still unsure, use the registry backup feature.

Whenever you use the CCleaner "Issues" section to clean the registry; prior to performing the actual cleaning process, the program offers to "option" to backup the previous registry.

The CCleaner backup process takes about 5 seconds to complete and can save you hours of trouble should something go wrong. Until you're comfortable using the CCleaner program; I'd suggest always using this backup option; just in case something goes wrong after the cleaning - so that you can easily restore the previous settings.

Good Luck

4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Agree with COMPUABLE 100%. I've also used CCleaner for years. I also opt for the "backup option", when asked. Touch wood, I've never had to restore the changes to my Registry that CC saves. Bazza

5. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

Great, I feel alot better about using it now.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If you are afraid to do all the changes (I know I was the first time I ran it), then only check the first page and tell it to clean that. It will always offer to save a backup. Always say YES. Like Bazza, I have never had to resort to putting the things back that it has removed but it is a secure feeling knowing you can if something did go wrong.

I save about the last two or three cleanups, then I start deleting the older ones.

7. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Good point, plodr. :) Like you, I keep the last couple of recent entries. I delete the others as part of my PC housekeeping. Bazza

===

8. mvarela

mvarela Private E-2

I am a Visual Studio programmer. I just recently started using CCleaner. I have been very cautious about applications that scan registries and suggest changes or deletions. I recently ran CCleaner in my Windows 8 PC and it found about 70 problems with it. Because of CCleaner reputation I went ahead and press the "Fix selected issues" button. After rebooting I couldn't log in my MSSQL Server Management Studio application and my SQL projects that access the MSSQL engine didn't worked either. I went ahead and restored the registry deletions with the backup CCleaner previously made. Rebooted and everything in MSSQL worked again. After again scanning the registry I couldn't find anything related to MSSQL in the problems found list. So, as I always thought, the registry is a kind of mystery place.

9. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Another option is to use Advanced System Care. It has both a registry cleaner and registry defrag.

Unlike CClean, it creates an automatic restore point (in case you forget to do it manually). I've used Advanced System Care on hundreds of PCs over the past several years and have never had an issue with it screwing up the registry.

10. theefool

theefool Geekified

CCleaner is for the typical user. You using MSSQL SMS etc, are not a typical user. Hopefully, you clicked yes for backup the registry.

I never use the registry clean up, before I check what gets cleaned first. I've dealt with the windows registry since it came out. Never delete before you back up. Never delete a file, just rename it. Reboot, and cross fingers.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds