Error code 643

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nelson2002, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Nelson2002

Nelson2002 Private E-2

Hello.
    I'm trying to install a Vista update but am being greeted by error code 643. The problems appears to be destabilising internet explorer too. Any help gratefully received! Surely I don't have to pay for a registry fix prog?? I have tried downloading the update (.NET Framework version 3.5 manually but with the same result). I have cast an eye over various online forums but the technical do-it-yourself language is beyond me. Anyway, thanks again, as ever.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What Service Pack is your Vista at?

What I would try is to fully uninstall .NET if that is the update that is not installing correctly, if its a different update then please advise as to the KB number of the update.

But try this app HERE and unsinstall .NET, then re-install .NET version 3.5 sp1 HERE, then run Windows Update.

*note do not ever pay for an registry fix application! we can likely suggest free fixes.

3. Nelson2002

Nelson2002 Private E-2

Hello.
    Many thanks for taking the time to help. I've uninstalled the .NET framework version from my control panel. However, I'm unable to download a replacement & am being told that problems still persist. I've tried both the Microsoft website and my laptop's Windows update section (where I'm greeted again by code error 643). The registry tool you suggested is also downloaded but informs me it's only able to scrub clean the first handful of errors, leaving many untouched without paying for registration. I'm not sure which version of Vista this is but it is about four years old (although I seem to remember it may by Vista Home premium). One more question: without the .NET framework on my computer am I now vulnerable to outside attack?

Thanks again.:confused

4. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Right click on My Computer then select Properties.
    Should show which version you have.

5. Nelson2002

Nelson2002 Private E-2

Thanks. It's Vista Home Premium. Service Pack 2.

6. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

No. .NET Framework does not offer protection against attacks.

Also, this article might help you with your error 643
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100/

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds