Displaying Chinese

Discussion in 'Software' started by travelling_man, Nov 17, 2006.

1. travelling_man

travelling_man Private E-2

I have a European version of Win XP Pro that I am running, fully updated.

My wife is chinese and would like to run some software that she has for her hobby of dabbling in the stock market. The trouble is that when she runs the software the characters are garble, even the shortcut name on the desktop is garble

She can read chinese sites on the internet no problem, the favourites being listed in the favourite menu shown correctly in chinese characters, as is a shortcut to them I placed on the desktop for her.

Little confused as why the program shortcut name is garbled and yet the internet site shortcut names are correctly displayed...

Also, when the program is run, the characters within the program are also garble...

Is there any way that she can see these characters correctly??

I have the far east options enabled in the regional language settings.

Do I have to load a chinese version of XP and have an option on boot which I want to use???

Any help gratefully received...:)

2. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

No, you don't need Chinese Windows to install, run & view Chinese.

What's the web browser? It may have builtin Asian fonts.

First thing to try: start > control... > region... > lang... > uncheck both "install files...", ok. Repeat this only to check both, ok. Reinstalling might fix it.

3. travelling_man

I have tried that but nothing is different.

I read someplace about Arial Unicode but it appears that this is not a free download.

Is there a way that different types are used for displaying as the system default??

4. travelling_man

start > control... > region... > advanced.... > Language for non-Unicode Programs.

Selected Chinese (PRC) and away it went :)

Thanks for the help though

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds