Running COMODO FW, however - Question RE: Vista FW...

Discussion in 'Software' started by grc123, Jan 8, 2011.

1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Can anyone tell me if this (both the LAN and the Wireless Network Connection box checked - in the screenshots attached) appears to be Correct, please?

Thanks in advance...
    PS ~ I have since cleared the Opera selection, in the "Exceptions" tab, but what about that "Core Networking" option/selection...does it need to checked?

Attached Files:

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Glenn

Yes LAN and Wifi are fine.

Leave Core Networking as without some of them enabled your PC wont function correctly and you may loose network or internet, also if you have any network devices or link up any PCs then having Network Discovery off will block any connections.

Be very careful what you block in the Firewall as you may end up having issues with applications or some core services, which will lead to frustration when applications dont work, so if you have any Windows or application/software issues... check your Firewall settings first.

This is a good guide to read HERE

But as your using Comodo FW then its easier to have that block and allow various applications as the software you install or unknows that popup for access to the internet are the ones to review if they are ok or not.

3. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Thanks much David...I actually checked Network Discovery just yesterday to make sure it was/is in fact, "off" (disabled) as I don't think I ever fully recovered from the issues of trying to get a printer hooked-up (connected) to this machine - as you may recall (because you helped me toward that end extensively, but I don't think we ever really finished, and I am to blame, in that there was a months-long lapse on my part and being able to properly tend to it) ... all of which brings-up a question (of course!) ---

I can't control this (Printer/file sharing) because I use "Sleep" (Stand-by) for this machine (and all of my machines). I think I should have Printer and File Sharing set to "Off", because it's not being used, and my understanding is that for security reasons I should leave it off/disabled (screen-shot attached) - but I cannot because of my Power Options settings/selections/choices (???).

But otherwise, thank you again, and yes, I am utilizing and have come to like and appreciate COMODO (Firewall only) now (after a miserable failure with it once before a couple of years ago) - though I still have MUCH to learn about it (such as whether to have the settings on "Safe Mode" - which I believe are the default settings, or something else (I would think "Training Mode" (?), but anyway, that's for another thread...:wave

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds