Error updating windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Software' started by anat1, Jul 13, 2014.

1. anat1

anat1 Private E-2

Hi There,

I have Windows 8.1. I uploaded to the new 8.1 release a few mo. ago with no problem. A month ago I had an adapter error that wouldn't let me connect to the internet so I had to do a refresh. It fixed the inetnet connection but now I can't update windows 8.1 new release. I keep getting error 80073712.
    I tried fixing it but no luck. I attached the logs with the error I am getting.
    Any help is greatly appreciated :confused

Thanks,
    Anat

Attached Files:

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI Anat

I gained similar error on update last month and my fix was to run a script to fix and re-register many of the Windows Update DLLs and restart some Services, you can try the Windows update fix HERE (download and run)

Do run this app and reboot and then run it again, reboot and try Windows Update again and let us know how you get on/

Could try the info HERE also if not already, but thinking you have, but need to mention it anyway.

3. anat1

anat1 Private E-2

Hi David,

I tried Windows Update Diagnostic as you posted but no luck. Still getting the same error as before.
    :(
    Anat

4. DavidGP

Hi Anat

Try this again and make sure no 3rd party antivirus or antimalware or firewalls are running, could disable them from Task Manager > Startup tab and right click disable.

Then reboot.

Then try this HERE try Win Udpate, if not ok then run error checking mouse over lower left corner to get the Start button and right click and choose Command Prompt Administrator, then at the prompt type sfc /scannow

Then check again.

5. anat1

anat1 Private E-2

Hi David,

I tried it but no luck. See attached for error message.

Thanks,
    Anat

Attached Files:

6. DavidGP

Hi Anat

Ahhhhh going to get more difficult now but hey worth a shot and try the below:

open Notepad and copy and paste the below:

Then click Save As and type in the File Name box WinUpdateRepair.bat and click save, save this to your desktop and once saved right click and choose Run as Administrator, then reboot and try again.

OH meant to ask what make and model is your PC as in some instances the windows update log or files are in a protected area and more admin access is needed, more like gain ownership, but thats for another time.

7. anat1

anat1 Private E-2

Hi David,

Didn't work :cry
    I have the Lenovo Yoga Pro 2 ultra book, Core i7.

I tried to configure a Windows repair source. It shows the file is repairable but the path is not right. How do I know the right path? See attached files.

Thanks!
    Anat

Attached Files:

8. DavidGP

HI Anat

Trying to find the doc on finding the right path for you, but do this for me and in any folder click View > Options (right at the end menu) then View and check Show Hidden Files and Folders and try the steps you did before.

Very likely that as your PC is an OEM they sometimes move recovery items, path should be c:/recover/windowsRE

Could you also attach your DISM Log file.

9. anat1

anat1 Private E-2

Hi David,

The files and folders were already unhidden.

See attached DISM log file.

Thank you,
    Anat

Attached Files:

10. DavidGP

Hi Anat

Try this from an elevated command prompt, mouse over left bottom corner and right click Start and choose Command Prompt (admin) and then type or copy and paste the below in, this should locate the .wim file

dir /b /a:h /S c:\recovery\*.wim

if this cannot find one then open Disk Management and look for a System Reserved or Recovery partition and these do not have drive letters and are not accessed, so I fear your winre.wim is on that, so something to try and do a full backup image of your HDD before trying this, I always do before fixing anything as matter of course.

then press Winkey+I to open the settings click Change PC Settings at the bottom then click Update and Recovery > Recovery and then under Advanced click Restart Now and see if the recovery console comes up, if it does then click Troubleshoot > Advanced > Command Prompt and try the DISM options again.

I'm hoping that this gives the cmd prompt access to the recovery/system reserved partition for the winre.wim to work for you

**I have been reading a fair bit today on this and some have said that while DISM will fix many of the Windows Update issues, not always and a re-install is last option, but I may have a few other thoughts come to me as I read TechNet and MSDN more***

11. DavidGP

Hey Anat

Thinking on this issue for last week or so and in the end I think a backup of your important files and apps, then a re-install of Windows 8.1 is the best option, off hand apart from what I have posted above I cannot think of a real fix.

Maybe someone else can...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds