internet activity continues even though I disconnect

Discussion in 'Software' started by alterintel, Aug 28, 2014.

1. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Hello. I have been noticing a strange thing for a while now. I have a highspeed [I use the term way loosely] cable internet connection. I use an external modem. When I disconnect from the internet it often seems like I might still be connected as minor things seem to continue. But today I was waiting for a picture of a map of a particular activity to load, when it suddenly just hung. This went on for a while so I decided to x out of the net, but the page wouldn't respond. So I pulled the small black plug out of the back of the modem. But the picture began to load and continued loading onto the internet page. I then unplugged the modem plug from the power strip, but the picture continued to load. I have had similar experiences but not of this magnitude. Am I still connected to the internet even though I unplug some of the lines, as the cable is still screwed into the back of the modem and there is still the yellow line going from the modem to the computer.

2. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

If your modem is turned off/unplugged it is not connected to the internet so your computer could not be connected to the internet through your modem.
    You did not say, is your computer set to connect wireless? If so could you be connecting to maybe a neighbors wifi unintentionally? Just a thought.
    You could check Network Connections and take a look at what shows up.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What katkat says could be your answer, and what Windows version and what type of PC/Laptop do you have make and model helps?

Another thought is that at times a page or picture could be partly cached up in temp folder awaiting other parts of a page to load, tends to happen more so if your PC is not quick enough to render the page... just a thought.

4. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Thanks katkat. Network connections says it is an ethernet connection under lan. My computer used to be part of a local area network before I got it. I am assuming tho that this also means it is connected by cable to the internet. It say exactly:3com 3C920 integrated fast ethernet. It says broadband is disconnected.

Alterintel

5. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Thanks Dave but I don't understand. Why would being in a temp folder cause this exactly?

Alterintel

6. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

katkat,
    Sorry, I forgot to add that it says it is an ethernet connection under lan OR HIGH SPEED INTERNET.
    Alternet

7. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

Hi Aterintel, The yellow cable you mentioned is your Ethernet cable that connects your computer and your modem together unless you have a wireless connection.

As I mentioned before if your modem is unplugged or otherwise turned off and has no power to it you can not connect to the internet through that modem. Even though your computer is connected to the modem with the Ethernet cord. I am assuming you are saying you only connect to internet wired to the modem and not wireless, is that right?

Have you have tried opening a new web page after this happen and did it show you were not connected to the internet?
    And if you have and you are not connected then what DavidGP told you about the page being cashed in temp file would be correct and nothing to worry about.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds