Questions on Win 7 to Win 8.1

Discussion in 'Software' started by mdietz39, Aug 30, 2014.

1. mdietz39

mdietz39 Private First Class

I have a new computer running Win 8.1 and I am very happy with it. I also have a laptop running Win 7 and it is Okay but I would rather have the XP look possible with Win 8.1. I have researched through other forums and am confused. So I thought I would come to the experts with my two questions.
    1. I have read that going from 7 to 8 I will need to reinstall my programs but would not have to transfer the data files, etc. If it is an upgrade from Win 7 to Win 8 why would I have to reinstall anything.I might have to change a few of the apps but the programs should be the same.
    2. Which would be better to do the upgrade:
    Purchase a full upgrade DVD from 7 to 8 and then upgrade to 8.1
    There is one supplier who will download the upgrade from 7 to 8.
    Can I make my own DVD upgrader using my desk top running 8.1 and then get the registration key from somebody like Amazon?
    Or is there another alternative?

You guys have been such a help in the past, I really appreciate it.
    Thank you
    Mike

2. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

You can download directly from MS
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only
    should start you in the right direction for an upgrade.

Programs used to play nice and stay in their own folder but that has changed. Now they store information all over the place and different Windows versions have different storage places. I know it sounds dumb but such is the price of progress. Most programs have to be reinstalled with a major OS upgrade. Many games will just run if you save their folder and "run as admin", they are self repairing.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds