Gateway laptop's system fan wont shut off after linux install?

Discussion in 'Software' started by SNES-Chalmers, Sep 3, 2004.

1. SNES-Chalmers

SNES-Chalmers Private E-2

My apologies if this is the wrong place to put this, but I recently installed linux red hat 9 on a Gateway solo 1400 laptop. It has 128megs of ram, and a celeron processor. The problem is that the system fan will not shut off after boot up like it did under windows xp. I figured that the fan was controlled through the hardware but now I dont know. It is just on all the time which is very distracting since I want to use this for class.

2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Sounds like it was software controlled. Chances are the control software is only available for Windows, but you can hunt for a linux version if you know what control hardware you have for the fan.

Have you tried asking on a linux forum? You might get a better response there :)

3. pastagirl

pastagirl Private E-2

Contact Gateway support, they have a patch for that.

( i use to work there)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds