Windows defrag inop after latest Windows updates...

Discussion in 'Software' started by G.T., Jun 15, 2006.

1. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

Defrag worked fine last weekend, is inop after Tuesday's Windows updates. Pops up from the menu, but neither "Analyze" nor "Defragment" buttons do anything.

Scanned for viruses and spyware; clean sweep, and no other changes to the system since last defrag. Windows updates were the only changes.

Uninstalled the latest Win updates, and defrag is still broken.

Anyone else heard anything about one of the latest updates crippline Defrag? And any fixes?

Running WinXP Pro SP2, with all updates (hah!).

2. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Anyone else heard anything about one of the latest updates crippling Defrag? And any fixes? <<

Never heard of this problem before; but in the meantime here's a 'possible fix' - as an alternative to Windows defrag; you could always try using Diskeeper Lite 7.0 and/or O&O Defrag 2000 Freeware Edition.

They each work far better than any 'default' Windows defragmentation utility and both are freeware as well.

Good Luck!

3. avondude

avondude Senior Member, 25% Off All Posts

Thanks for sharing!---wondered what in tarnation I did to my little box to make my defrag not work---never associated it with updates---when pressing analyze I get a message telling me that it cannot connect with the defragmentation engine---run the same as you---XP/SP2---my workaround was to put in Diskeeper Lite which was suggested in the previous post---works like a champ---interested in hearing of any fixes as I am totally clueless---
    addition---Thank you COMPUABLE---

4. AbbySue

AbbySue MajorGeeks Administrator

Before this thread goes any further off topic there are multiple threads in software on alternative programs to windows defrag. You can utilize the search feature to find these threads or start a new thread to discuss alternative programs.

Suggesting alternative defrag programs is not a possible fix for windows defrag...none of these programs has the capability of repairing windows defrag so it works the way it is suppose to.

The topic of this thread is Windows defrag has stopped working after windows update. GT (an advanced computer user) has asked "Anyone else heard anything about one of the latest updates crippling Defrag? And any fixes?"

Please stay on topic. Thank you.:)

5. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Just a few things you might check/try G.T.

You need to re-register the defragmenters snap-in files, and the basic registry entries.

First open up a Command Prompt, this can be found at:
    Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt

Change into your windows\system32 directory. Your windows directory will be either windows or winnt. Type:
    cd \windows\system32

Register the defrag components, by typing:
    regsvr32 dfrgsnap.dll
    regsvr32 dfrgui.dll

At this stage, you may find the defragmenter works. If not, there is one more step you can do.

Using Windows Explorer browse to your windows\inf folder.
    In there you will find a file called dfrg.inf right click this file, and select Install.

OR

DCom Server Process Launcher (DComLaunch) service was introduced in Windows XP SP2. One of the major side-effects user face after disabling the DComLaunch service is that the Disk Defragmenter console fails to operate. The Analyze and Defragment buttons do nothing. Also, launching the console Defrag (defrag.exe) utility causes the following error: Windows cannot connect to the Disk Defragmenter engine.

Here is how to enable the DCOMLAUNCH service:

1. Click Start, Run and type Services.msc
    2. Double-click DCOM Server Process Launcher
    3. Set its startup type to Automatic
    4. Restart Windows

Steve

6. avondude

avondude Senior Member, 25% Off All Posts

Thank you MATACUMBIE---my defrag works again following your second fix---somehow slipped out of automatic I guess---I am grateful

7. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Good deal. :)

Steve

8. G.T.

Thanks Matacumbe. I'll give those a look/try when I get home tonight. Don't remember what state the DCOM service is currently in. Will check that first. :)

9. G.T.

Thanks Matacumbie. It was the DCOM service; was set to manual insead of auto, which means I likely shot myself in the foot instead of being done in by a Windows update (althouth WinUpdates have caused some problems in the past). I forgot that I was chasing down a slow loading problem last weekend, going through msconfig, startup folder, services, all the likely suspects. Cured the slow load problem, but must have hit DCOM at that time. I should really write down all changes to the Services list. Too easy to forget what you've changed, expecially after some days have passed.

10. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

You are exactly right G.T., I try and keep track of everything I change, install, uninstall, etc. I keep my "work" computers pretty trimmed down but I have gotten to where the desktop computer I use mainly at home, I leave it mainly as is. I was running into some issues and it was always something I had disabled or removed and something needed it.

Anyway, glad you got it fixed my friend. :)

Steve

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds