Show/Hide Icons Arrow Missing

Discussion in 'Software' started by C Denise, Dec 15, 2008.

1. C Denise

C Denise Private E-2

I just got a new Dell Computer running Vista Home Premium Addition. I closed out some icons in the notification area of the task bar and now, no matter what I do in regards to hiding the inactive icons, my arrow that was there is now missing and I cannot get it back.
    Also, I have McAfee Security Suite that came preinstalled on here and I was considering downloading AVG from you guys but have no idea how to do all of that without compromising my safety. McAfee's free trial is due to expire on Dec 27 and I could get it free thru Comcast but I really don't like all of the room it occupies. What do you think?

2. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

With regards to the McAfee trial software and the fact you want to change to AVG: You would simply come here and locate the anti virus you want, download it's setup .... then when you are ready....make sure McAfee is disabled and not running...(shut it down) then making sure you are offline give the McAfee removal Tool a run.

Reboot your machine .... and then give this tool a run also if you wish to, it removes alot of other pre installed softwares you don't wish to keep. PC Decrapifier

Then you could reboot your machine again and then double click your setup.exe for the new antivirus's installation.

Note: AVG 8 is pretty resource hungry unless you take out various components of it such as the link scanner...if you have plenty of RAM then no worries.

3. Kestrel13!

first try this: right click your taskbar > select properties > and make sure "hide inactive icons" is checked

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Is the arrow missing because maybe there are not enough icons in the tray to warrant hiding?

5. C Denise

C Denise Private E-2

Thank you all so much for your quick response. I am a little confused as to if I need to be off line to uninstall McAfee or not and if I go back on line to install AVG. I've read everything over four times and just need to have the steps spelled out.
    I have already downloaded the AVG setup and the McAfee removal tool to my desktop.

6. Kestrel13!

Hi there.

I personally would exit out of all browsers before uninstalling McAfee, yes.

Then when you are ready for the installation of AVG also make sure you are offline until it is fully installed and up and running. It will want to update then

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds